SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_dc

Eliminating Cat Urine Smell--any advice?

robin_DC
14 years ago

I've noticed that a lot of you have cats, and wondered if you might have any tips that could help me (I don't have one and am allergic to them). The prior owners of my house had 3 cats, at least one of which seems to have had a serious 'spraying' problem. Although there was no cat urine odor during the home inspection or the open house, when I moved in the entire house had a cat and/or cat urine smell. The urine smell was the strongest in the basement but noticeable almost everywhere. I eliminated the smell upstairs before I moved in (I painted every room, removed all the carpet, refinished or installed hardwood floors, removed wallpaper, had the ducts cleaned). But the basement odor has been hard to battle.

Now, almost 5 years later(!), I'm still trying to 'clear' the air in the basement. It's more pressing now because I plan to set up an elliptical trainer in the basement soon, and I need it to be pleasant down there so that I will actually use it. The basement is unfinished and has cinderblock walls. I removed the carpet in the basement before I moved in, and that went a long way. And all the upper walls have been washed. I haven't been able to completely wash the bottom 3-4 feet of the walls because they are covered with some kind of pegboard style waterproofing paneling with tracks on the back of it; but I did spray some kind of animal urine product (nature's miracle??) on that pegboard/track stuff. But the smell keeps coming back especially if it gets warm and humid down there (i.e. if it's summer and I don't blast the dehumidifier). This morning it smelled like a cat had sprayed as recently as yesterday, not 5 years ago!

I'm just not sure what to try next. Would re-painting or priming the walls and floor work? Any other products that I should try to spray in the pegboard stuff (or does nature's miracle usually require multiple applications)? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (9)