SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

What does it mean when loose tile comes up this clean?

2ajsmama
14 years ago

I had about 60 sf of tile replaced last summer (9-10 mos after install). Most of it came up looking like this

But the thinset was stuck to the floor in ridges.

Installer said we walked on it too soon (only when he said it was OK to), floor was bouncing too much, it had been too humid (no AC) when installed, bunch of different "reasons" but he reset it. It seems to be holding.

Then this fall and spring I had more come loose (incl some he thought might have a loose corner last year but didn't pull b/c he didn't want to break them), most contiguous to what had been replaced in 2008. Some came up the same way

But at least 4 that I saw came up like this

Are either of these due to the conditions he cited? Or is one (both?) due to poor installation? Here is screw pattern he said was 6" and more than what Hardi had marked - I measure 8" -12" on some spots

(There's not one under the tape here)

He is resetting these now, coming back today to check for more that I hadn't marked as loose, but figured we might as well check everything that hasn't been replaced so far (at least in the foyer - most the kitchen and all of the mudroom have been fine for 2 years). What he did last year seems to be holding in the foyer (and kitchen).

Bill V. said he thought it should all be torn out and redone with thinset under the CBU, if we have more foyer tile come loose in the next couple of years we will definitely do that but I'm hoping not to pull out over 300 sf in kitchen/mudroom.

Just looking for expert opinions on root cause of this - installer said this time that I had too much "bounce" in floor (2x10s 16 OC, 23/32 Sturdiflor T&G subfloor for 12" ceramic) so this time he is using Flexbond which is what DB and I used in upstairs bath (but we put in lots of screws and followed Hardi recommendations for thinset under the CBU).

Thanks

Comments (4)