SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Talking sense into parents

kellienoelle
10 years ago

My mom and stepfather, who are in very good health at the age of 70 have finally tired of taking care of their 2-3 acre yard. Their current house is probably around 2200 sq ft with a pretty traditional split entry floorplan, with most of their living area on the top floor up about 7-8 stairs. They have lived in this house for 30+ years, so the plan is that the next house will comfortably last them throughout the rest of their lives. So, that would obviously be a house with the option to live on the main floor so stairs won't be an issue when the time comes, right? Nope, my mom is insisting on a traditional 2 story with 4 bedrooms upstairs, no full bath on the main level, and over 3000 sq ft of living space once they also finish out an additional rec room in the basement. So, what that will mean is 2 family rooms, a living room, and a sun room all for two retired folks. In case you guys are thinking they want the space for grandkids, nope, the two grandkids are fully grown. They don't entertain frequently or have tons of overnight guests. To me it seems like an awful lot of space in a configuration that doesn't make the best sense.

I know it isn't my house, but I don't want them making a mistake. My in-laws had a set up with all beds/baths up and did get to the point where they could no longer tackle the stairs. They had to move a bed into the dining room and I don't even know where they showered/bathed but it probably involved a sponge bath in the kitchen. THey are now comfortable in a ranch. My mom, however, just doesn't like ranches.

Help. Or maybe I should just butt out. FYI - they are planning on building.

Comments (48)