SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Lets talk about Superior Parents in hybridizing- one way of doing

newyorkrita
15 years ago

There has been a discussion on the AHS e-mail robin about hybridizing and ones approach to hybridizing. Bill Maryott wrote that athough he had many different crosses most of his new intros went back to WILD CHERRY ROUNDUP since he first started using it. He classified it as a certain type of superior parent. This type of superior parent when used for breeding would produce most of the introductions. Remember that this is one trpe of approach, very successful mind you, but not the only way things are done.

For instance, I think Bill Maryotts intros are stunners and have bought more than my fair share. He has his vision of what a dayliliy flower should look like. This is good but things that he considers flaws are not flaws in my eyes, nor in the eyes of others. He wants a full form very round form daylily. He considers pointed sepals a major flaw if I understand correctly, and I bet he trashed seedlings with this "flaw". I could care less if a flower has pointed sepals and I am sure my garden is full of what I consider stunning flowers with pointed sepals.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor