SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Gardenguru Joe...Sausage& Pumpkin Winter Soup

rhome410
15 years ago

Even though not famous for being soup fans (usually preferring ultra-hearty dishes like chili or stews instead), my family went wild for this soup earlier this week. It's fantastic. They wanted me to make it for the next night! My dh stole all the leftovers to take for lunches and the kids were mad at him.

I am going to try using it as a base and adding other things. If it doesn't work, the basic recipe is good enough anyway.

Your soup recipes prompted us to start 'Monday Soup Night.' Thanks.

Comments (8)

• compumom
    15 years ago

Hey, please don't tempt me and not post the link to that recipe! It sounds good!
    Thanks!

• compumom
    15 years ago

I realized it's in the soup recipes that Joe generously shared with all who asked. Just in case, I'm copying and pasting it here too!

Joe's SAUSAGE AND PUMPKIN WINTER SOUP

2 C pumpkin (this is about one 15 oz canÂNOT pie filling!)
    4 C chicken broth
    1/2 C minced onion
    1 C finely chopped mushrooms
    1 C whole milk or cream (or 1/2 c half & half mixed w/1/2 C water)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 T each of finely chopped fresh parsley, oregano and basil
    8 links of hot Italian sausage (or sweet if you prefer)
    1/2 C shredded parmesan for topping
    salt/pepper if you think it needs it

OPTION: skip the milk & substitute a can of diced tomatoes for one of the cans of broth, or used one can of broth and one can of water to moderate the saltiness of the soup.

Brown sausage, drain the grease (if any) and then add the onion, garlic and herbs.

Stir in the pumpkin and mix...

Stir in the broth and mix well.

Simmer 20-30 minutes.

Stir in the milk and simmer on low another 10-15 min.

Serve topped with shreds of parmesan.

• rhome410
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Compumom...Yes, that's it. We used it for our main dish, so I doubled it to feed 9 (from 4 yr old to adult, so varying serving sizes)...and had about 4 cups left for DH's lunches. I used 1 pkg of hot Italian sausage (bulk, not links..about 12 - 16 oz, I think) and 1 pkg of sweet Italian sausage. Yum!

• gardenguru1950
    15 years ago

Thanks for the kudos rhome.

But I can't take credit for the recipe. It's one of those that I pulled from this forum.

I hope the person who originally posted it will step forward. And I hope it's his or her original recipe.

By the way, my recipe collection is well over 180 recipes now and I've organized it nicely by type.

Joe

• sooz
    14 years ago

Well, better late than never... I was looking at posts from the past and came on this one, thinking gosh, that Sausage and Pumpkin Winter Soup sure sounded like one I posted.

Sure enough, it WAS! So I'm coming forward and saying that the recipe on my hard drive is called Spicy Sausage and Pumpkin (Winter) Soup, and it was originally from Steph (another website, not gardenweb) around Dec of 2003 or January of 2004, and I posted it here to share in January of 04 because it was REALLY GOOD!

I noticed around cyberspace that others have posted the exact same/almost the exact same recipe over the years, as far back as Dec of 2004, but January predates that. So tip of the hat to Steph, and if anyone can think ahead to fall and winter while we're still in the heat of August, it's worth saving this recipe!

Smiles,
    Sooz

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    14 years ago

I have a question about the sausage - if you use links of Italian sausage, and brown them then do you slice them and put them in the soup? Or do you take the sausage out of the casings and brown them (I see that rhome410 used bulk sausage).

Thanks.

seagrass

• gardenguru1950
    14 years ago

seagrass:

I always remove casings first and then brown the sausage, breaking it up into good-sized chunks.

And thanks sooz and a big thanks to Steph (I hope you're reading this Steph and can tell me the story behind this recipe).

Joe

• sooz
    14 years ago

Hi, seagrass,

I do what Joe does. I like to drain out a bit of the fat before I put it in the soup.

Joe,
    If I run into Steph on-line, I'll be sure to let her know that we'd like the story behind the recipe!

Smiles,
    Sooz