SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandman_on

MIL drop-ins - need advice

Sandman_ON
22 years ago

My husbands parents have taken to "dropping by" without calling, and it's driving me crazy and I don't know how to deal with it. I have two little girls, and am on maternity leave now, but when I go back to work, I'm going to be super-busy and these drop-in visits are going to be even harder to take. My husband often has to work on the weekends, and sometimes isn't there when they drop by. They used to call, but since we're never home, I guess they felt they weren't getting anywhere so they've decided just to come by without calling or asking what our plans are. Also, if they don't get us on the phone, my MIL sometimes will call and leave a message "I am going to come up this afternoon". Rather than, "are you guys busy", or "is it a good time?" I think she knows it's impolite (when we were younger and used to drop in on her, she asked us to stop), but I think she feels she wants to see the kids, so she'll basically do what she wants.

This weekend, my husband was at work, I had one baby sleeping,and my little girl was upstairs playing. I was in my pyjamas writing an essay for a course I am taking. I saw their car pull up, and I feel terrible, but I didn't answer the door, I just stayed with my little girl in her room. After they knocked, I could hear them testing the door to see if it was open. They have also gone in the back laneway to see if my car is in the garage. I am a private person, and I like to be prepared (house clean, something to serve). I don't want to be mean, but we are such busy people, we can't really accomodate them all the time, and the drop-ins are driving me nuts. My MIL and I don't have a close relationship by any means, but we're civil. I don't want to make it worse than it already is, and my husband is useless - when he finally does say something about any issues with them, he goes over the top and makes matters worse. I just wanted some advice from some Grandparents out there on how to handle this.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH