SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asm198

Need imput about our sofa

I have a sort of odd problem and can't decide what would be the best course of action, so I thought I'd get some imput from people more knowledgable than myself.

About 8 years ago, my husband and I were in college and bought a couch (and other things) from a neighbor who had graduated and didn't want to haul his furniture back home. I think the couch was from his parents, so it was fairly old when we got it, but was in good condition.

Fast forward to now and I'm sick of this couch. It seems to be pretty sturdy, but the springs are "worn" or whatever the term is. It sags in the middle. Beyond that, the frame is in good condition, but the material is falling apart and I'm incredibly sick of the color/pattern.

The obvious answer would be to buy a new couch, but there's a problem. We can't afford anything for at least a year and at that point, we would probably only be able to afford something around $1000, if that.

After reading the boards here for a bit, I've gathered that what we'd be able to spend wouldn't be good quality, so I'm hesitant to spend money on something that wouldn't last. We are fairly hard on our sofa and have two dogs that hang out there often, so it gets a ton of use.

What I've been thinking about doing is to see if it would be possible to repair the sofa we currently own and recover it (possibly a slipcover) to stretch out its use until we can save up enough money to get a nice sofa.

I'm not sure what would be the best thing to do in this situation. Any imput?

Comments (2)