SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

Chicken Kebabs with Lemon, Mint, and Garlic

jakkom
12 years ago

This turned out to be one of the best recipes I've ever clipped out. Don't be afraid of the mint; my DH dislikes mint but he didn't even realize it was in this recipe!

I double it as we love the leftovers. Even with my wimpy Kenmore gas broiler, this comes out tasty (not browned very well, but the sauces take care of that). I imagine it would be great on the charcoal grill too, but I can't give you timing for that, sorry.

We infinitely prefer the kebabs with a spicy Romescu or super-hot Thai peanut sauce. Yummy!

Marlena Speier is a great food writer and cook who spends half her time in Europe and half in Northern CA. Whatta life to lead......

Chicken Skewers with Garlic, Lemon & Mint

Adapted from Roving Feast columnist Marlena Spieler.

Makes two 15-inch metal skewers, enough to serve 3-4 people.

INGREDIENTS

1.5 lbs chicken breast, skinless and boneless, trimming off any surface white ligament and excess fat

5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, stems removed and chopped

1/2 cup lemon juice (Meyer or regular lemons), seeds removed

1 tablespoons olive oil

2 tsp McCormick's lemon pepper or other brand

Optional: only if using the cooked marinade for a sauce:

1/4 cup dry white wine or dry sherry

1/4 cup chicken broth

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Cut the chicken into 2" chunks.

2. Combine the chicken, garlic, mint, lemon juice, olive oil, oyster sauce and lemon pepper in a plastic container. Cover tightly. Refrigerate overnight, or up to 24 hours.

3. Remove from refrig 1/2 hr before serving. Drain the chicken, reserving marinade.

4. Place oven rack in highest position and preheat broiler on high for at least 10 minutes. Line a large flat cookie sheet, big enough to hold both skewers, with foil. Spray with cooking spray.

5. Thread the chicken cubes onto two 15-inch skewers. Place on cookie sheet, spray again with cooking spray.

6. Broil chicken skewers for 7 min. on one side and 3-4 minutes the second side. Let rest on a platter 2-3 minutes.

7. Add the chicken broth and sherry to reserved marinade. Bring to a boil over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Thicken with cornstarch, or just cook over medium heat until reduced to 3/4 cup. Taste for seasoning, then cover or low heat to keep it warm.

Garnish chicken with additional chopped mint, if you wish. Serve the sauce on the side. A Romescu or Thai/Indonesian spicy peanut sauce is also good with this.

Comments (7)