SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

A 2 hour breakfast

annie1992
14 years ago

Since Ashley got her wisdom teeth out, she warned me that the newest boyfriend would be here this morning to check on her, at about 9 am. Could I make breakfast?

Well, sure I can, what shall I make, besides the obligatory pot of coffee for me? Ashley suggested sausage gravy and biscuits.

Now, this is White Cloud, and the only grocery store doesn't open until 9 am on Sunday, so I trot out to the freezer, grab a package of pork steak and prepare to make some breakfast sausage.

Thaw the pork and cut it into cubes. Be sure to remove the gristle and cartilege...

Toss it into the food processor and pulse it. Don't just grind, not even if you're half asleep, or you'll have pork steak paste...

Add seasonings and mix well. I used sage, marjoram, cayenne, salt, black pepper, a little brown sugar.

Put a small piece in a hot skillet and cook, then taste and adjust seasonings. Mine needed a LOT more black pepper, a little more cayenne. I wish I could take out a bit of brown sugar, but that's impossible...

Make 4 sausage patties and the rest goes into the skillet with flour and milk for creamy sausage gravy:

OK, that's all under control, start the biscuits, the oven has been preheating while the sausage is being made. Keep the butter cold and be sure to use buttermilk, it makes the best biscuits. Don't handle the dough too much, turn it out onto the counter and bring it together. Don't knead it, just fold on top of itself, flatten, fold, flatten, fold again. Three times, Grandma told me that's what makes the flaky layers. It was too darned early to look for my round biscuit cutter so I took another lesson from Grandma and just cut the dough into squares:

Finally, it's done. No gravy over biscuits for me, I had a hot biscuit with butter, a farm fresh egg and a sausage patty, along with that coffee.

So that was what was for breakfast. It would have been faster if the pork hadn't been frozen. The boyfriend was impressed, Ashley was not happy because she couldn't eat any of it, LOL.

Have I mentioned that I am so NOT a morning person?

Annie

Comments (42)