SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlee19

Engineered hardwood in kitchen addition-before or after cabinets?

kimberlee19
14 years ago

I spent hours last night reading this forum to see if my exact question had been answered (and learned a lot in the process!) A quick background of our project...

We have built a kitchen addition off the back of our house - kitchen opening up into a great room. The kitchen area has 9' ceilings and is approx. 15x12, and opens up into the great room which is 15x18 with 18' peaked ceilings. There are two sets of 4 foot french doors on the side that open to the deck and back yard. The kitchen section has a large island approx. 6x5 with seating on two adjacent sides. The kitchen portion is built on a slab with a plywood subfloor on top of 2x4 framing (built over old screened porch and needed to have the floor raised to meet the adjacent dining room that we will open up to), the great room is over a crawlspace.

With active children 8 and 10 years old, a 62 pound full-of-energy dog, and a very social neighborhood with kids in and out and lots of "just dropped in for a glass of wine" adults, we want a floor that's durable. We love hardwood, and have it in 75% of our first floor. Our home is a late-50's traditional cape cod, and love rustic/casual/traditional styles.

While originally wanting hardwood, we think we've decided on engineered hardwood 1) because of the durability, especially over the slab portion, and 2) we really liked the look of the available hand scraped/distressed options out there. Also, I cook A LOT plus have lower back problems, so I didn't want hard tile under my feet in the kitchen.

When originally planning hardwood, we were going to lay it first covering the entire room, then install the cabinets/island over top. But the more reading I'm doing, I'm wondering: should we install the cabinets first and then the engineered hardwood around it?

We might install it ourselves (hubby is an awesome DIYer who put prefinished solid oak in our dining room), but might have our handyman install it in the interest of time. We move at a slow pace - we're GCing this addition to save money and it's been going on for over a year now!

Also, after my reading last night, we will definitely use a good underlayment like Floormuffler as we would HATE the clickety clack sound of walking on a floating floor without a good sound-muffling underlayment.

If you got this far, thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz