SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golddust

Jason, Audi or BMW. I've had both.

golddust
14 years ago

Jason,

I had a 1999 Audi Avant A6 wagon. I traded it in 4,000 miles shy of the warranty expiration deadline. Cup holders were broken, replaced air bags 3 times, ball joints twice. I could go on and on. I even had a motor replaced. Uh huh. That car's file was thicker than any brand new car I have ever purchased. I hid it under the set for the new owner. Think I got a lemon. Nope.

My friend bought an A4. You couldn't give either one of us another Audi if you wanted to. Another friend bought an older Audi (like a 1994) for her son, in spite of our warnings.

They bought it from a high end mechanic who has done a lot of work for us all. He had picked it up reasonable. He replaced the motor, went through it all and declared the car mechanically sound. (He is a good friend to all of us and quite trustworthy.) The car lasted a year and a half.

Our BMW's, OTOH, have been trouble free. They have pep. The warranty includes everything, for 50,000. Free wipers, oil changes, everything. We bought the extended warranty for the 3 series and recently got a free rear windshield because the AM radio (that we never listen to) antenna broke.

They put me in a new 5 series (sweet) for what ended up to be a week. Mostly because of my schedule.

My BIL has an Audi now. Luckily he has had his daughter's car to drive around when his Audi is down but that won't last as she's coming home from college.

I hope you have better luck if you decide to get an Audi. My BIL still swears by his, even while driving his daughter's older small car everywhere while he's awaiting parts.

Of course when you have a very expensive car and you are having problems, you tend to ask other Audi drivers if they like their cars. Talk about impromptu bit#h sessions. Oh yes...

There quite a club of former Audi drivers who cross our fingers and hiss at them all. BMW's - not so much. :+)

Just don't say I didn't warn you. I know there is a loyal following of Audi's but I wonder how honest they are being. (Brother in law, for example) . LOL!

Comments (13)