SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Advice needed on which Bona waterborne finish for kitchen remodel

SparklingWater
11 years ago

Our kitchen remodel is about four to six weeks off and I'm seeking advice on our kitchen hardwood floors.

The entire house of white oak was re-finished years ago: sanded down, stain applied, Bona Pacific Strong Waterborne Poly Finish layers applied. Regrettably the floors did not withstand normal family traffic well at all (long story).

With the current kitchen remodel, Bruce oak hardwood (left from previous owners) will be placed in any gaps left from appliance and cabinet removal. It's in great shape and tongue and groove. A professional floor refinisher will be performing all the work on the kitchen floors.

My floor question in general is: after screening of the Bona Pacific Strong finish, should Bona Traffic be used? I've been told waterborne poly finish once means waterborne poly forever, unless thousands of square hardwood floor footage is totally redone again which is not going to happen.

I just want to re-do the kitchen floors and do them correctly so the finish lasts a much longer time. I believe that means a Bona Finish similar to the waterborne poly Pacific Strong used the first time. We need consistency from to adjacent rooms. Just the finish is being re-placed as the stain is fine: warm and nice. Is Bona Traffic the same sheen as Bona Pacific Strong? I take it we have the least sheen ever seen on any Bona-finished floors, or the finish just got totally absorbed into the hard wood. This time I know a sealer will be put down before the new Bona product, but which Bona waterborne poly finish to choose this time?

Thank you for your advice. Yes, our new floor refinisher will weigh in mightily here. I also will call Bona tech support soon also to ask which Bona product they advise under these circumstances and I'm hoping one of their regional representatives will come out and give a consultation.

Comments (9)