SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Thinking seriously about a kitchen remodel - layout advice needed!

We inherited a livable but less-than-ideal kitchen layout when we bought our house four years ago. I have been thinking about a remodel for a while now, but with all the time at home during COVID my desire to improve the function of this space has intensified. So, I would love to hear your thoughts about what I can do to transform this area of my home!

House is an 1890s foursquare with stucco exterior. Kitchen has to stay in its current location, but we are open to moving doorway, windows, and adjacent powder room as necessary. The stucco on the back of the house is in rough shape and in need of some major repairs anyway, so we wouldn't be ruining a perfect stucco job to move a doorway or window.

Here's what we have currently:

Chimney cannot be removed (or rather, it could be, but we priced that job and decided it was way too expensive at 25-30K). Laundry most likely needs to stay in the kitchen - theoretically it could go in the basement, but the basement is unfinished, very low ceiling and just generally gross, plus the stairway to get down there is insanely narrow.

My biggest source of annoyance with this kitchen is the doorway to the backyard. Our parking is in the back of the house so we use this entrance 90% of the time, but as you can see it is very tight, and there is nowhere to immediately remove shoes, dump purses and keys, grocery bags, etc. We have a coat closet in the foyer and we don't mind walking through with coats, but removing shoes and unloading is a huge hassle. I have a moveable island/table in the center right now and a small hutch on the bathroom wall to give me space to put things, but they are only stopgap measures - we need to find a way to create more space at the entrance.

The other major layout issue is the location of the stove and sink - I would prefer them to be swapped, with the sink centered on the long wall and the stove between window and doorway on the short wall. There really isn't room for that with the door in its current location, unless I put the range on the end of that run of the U, which I don't love (I like landing space on both sides). The first floor also lacks a broom closet and/or pantry, but we have a large armoire in the dining room that stores some of those items (plus some hanging broom storage in the kitchen, in the narrow area left next to the W/D stack).

Anyway, I came up with the following plan, which allows me to put the W/D side by side instead of stacked. This would allow for a countertop (for folding clothes and as a dumping ground for keys, purses, etc.) and plenty of storage above. Thoughts?

This plan removes the cabinet from the dining room and pushes the W/D as far back as possible. The chimney is exposed (the brick is attractive) and the little stub walls that create the current entrance to the kitchen are removed, which allows the powder room to expand 6" or so into the vestibule. The powder room is reduced from 4'x6' to 4'x5', which will be tight, but honestly how much room do you need in a powder room? There is room for a sliding barn door on the bathroom if we find the in-swing becomes too tight with the smaller dimensions.

Obviously I haven't bothered to get into the nitty-gritty of cabinet sizes, etc. with this plan yet - that will come after I figure out where all the walls and doors will be! If anyone has creative ideas about how to improve this plan or another way to fit a kitchen, laundry and powder room into this space, I would welcome your input! Thanks in advance!

Comments (41)