SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matthias_lang

Lending friends money & Heating costs

matthias_lang
18 years ago

Do you have any personal guidelines for lending out money? I struggle with this, but almost always lend the requested amount of money, falling back on the old do unto others guideline.

My area has income well below the national average, but mine is much better. I have a couple of friends and "reliable acquaintences" to whom I make probably about six to ten small loans per year. These loans are usually $50-$300, but once $1100. The loans are for necessities such as gasoline, household utilities, rent, car repair, telephone, medicine, kids' school supplies. They always pay back, but that biggest loan took 13 months longer than agreed. These friends really live hand-to-mouth and I don't see hope that that will ever change (It hasn't over the 20-25 years that I've known these various people), except for maybe one of them who is very young and has managed to get some education and the kind of job that just might lead somewhere. I also know that at least one of them gets help on heating and cooling bills from charities every year.

Well, the cost of natural gas is zooming up and I feel this tension that there is no way any of these friends are going to be able to pay their heating bills. Nor are they going to find charities to help them out because so many people are going to be in need this year. Nor can I afford to lend them each the money when none of them will be able to pay it back since they won't be able to get caught up from one month to the next because they will be hit hard each cold month. They will get through the winter with heat because the gas company legally cannot cut off service during the cold months. But at the end of winter the gas will be cut off (thus no hot water or cooking on their gas stoves) until they get those bills paid off. But since they live so marginally, I think NEXT winter will roll aroung with their bills unpaid and the gas company will be under no obligation to turn it on.

I just feel so caught here trying to figure out what my obligations are.

Comments (33)

Sponsored
More Discussions