SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brooke909

sofa shopping blues--long, sorry

brooke909
17 years ago

This past Saturday, my college-age daughter and I went to a local Pottery Barn store to look at sofas and chairs. She works seasonally at a store that entitles her to a rather large discount at subsidiary stores, so it made sense to us to begin our shopping there, plus we all like the "look" of the PB Basic slipcovered pieces. (We live in an older townhouse and so can't afford the Grand style physically.) Our thought was to pick out a loveseat and two chairs, or two loveseats and a chair--in sum, to spend a good deal of money, even with the discount.

We were both dressed in normal Saturday-morning attire, having just come from a local farmers' market: shorts, T-shirts, sandals. First of all, we couldn't get any of the sales staff to even acknowledge us when we walked in: no greeting, no "may I help you?", nothing. Granted, there were several parties in the store, maybe half a dozen other people/couples. Was I being oversensitive? You tell me. After trying out several pieces, sitting, looking at swatches, walking 'round and 'round, I finally approched one of the saleswomen who was at the cash register and asked if she could help. She was busy checking out a customer and continued to do so while she responded rather shortly to some of my questions, but obviously not investing much in the conversation. I wondered at the time why she didn't just say, "Let me get someone to answer your questions while I finish with this customer." I said something to the effect of, "I can see you're busy; is there someone else..." and she called to one of her associates to help us. This young woman also seemed very precoccupied, although I did not see her actually waiting on anyone. There was another couple there my age, a man and a woman, and they seemed to be getting attention from another salesperson (could it have had anything to do with the way they were dressed--slacks, shirts, jewelry?), so I couldn't figure out why we were not. When I opened my conversaton with the second young woman, I decided to be very frank and let my daughter speak up about her discount. That didn't seem to faze her at all (thankfully), but she did explain very certainly that SHE (my daughter) would have to make the purchase; I couldn't give her money and then have her buy the items. Fine; beat me over the head with the fact that I'm asking for a discount!? Okay, overly sensitive perhaps. I went on to ask questions about construction, coils, and so forth, and didn't get very full or knowledgeable answers. I again felt as though we were being given the brush-off. I just came away feeling as though NO one made any effort to deal with us as cash-paying customers, which we were going to be! When someone walks into a store and is about to spend a good bit of money in cash, shouldn't they reasonably expect some, dare I say, coddling? some attention? some solicitousness? Would we have been treated differently if we were paying full price? We were still ignored when we began looking, before anyone knew we were entitled to a discount? Is the discount even relevant? And now I've searched this forum and found less than praiseworthy comments about PB furniture in general, so I'm childishly feeling I'm just going to shop elsewhere--discount be damned! Your thoughts?

Comments (8)