SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

What's for Dinner? # 264

canarybird01
16 years ago

Oh my things do move so quickly nowadays. Here we are again at a new thread.

So many really good meals and photos on that last one!

Yesterday we finished off the meatloaf and I did a tray of roasted vegetables in my little countertop oven.

The thyme is growing nicely on my kitchen windowsill, so tossed a few springs on top of the tray with olive oil.

Today I went downtown and picked up a large salmon fillet and instead of oven roasting this time I breaded it with ground almond, then put it in a frying pan with oil and a good sprig of fresh rosemary. Made a big pot of steamed veggies: potatoes, white sweet potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and squash. YUM!

And in the supermarket downtown I found again one of their trays of 2 stripped chicken carcasses with plenty of meat still on the bones, and it was only 1 Euro 38 cents, which is exactly $US 2.02. As it weighed 1 kilo 316 grams, (nearly 3 lbs.) I though it a good buy for that price. I'm going to make a big stockpot, freeze some and make chicken soup with the rest. Also bought some beef bones for the freezer.

The biggest of the carnival parades was yesterday, although there are some more still to come in the smaller towns this weekend.

Some images from yesterday:

SharonCb

Comments (101)

• disneyginger
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The meals here look fantastic! Those ribs had me by the short hairs for certain.

We drove to the grocery store at 7:30pm last night, I grabbed a California Kitchens spinach pizza and my husband grabbed a tombstone cheese pizza and we had them with a cold bottle of beer. We've never really eaten frozen pizza before, and now I remember and know why. Not too good!

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Sharon, I love your spanish omelette and your MLC story! lol

Bubbe, as I would normally loudly state that my husband doesn't even boil water, I can't. He is currently trying to get out of the doghouse and is at the store getting ingredients to make me lasagna for dinner...granted, it's the only thing he makes, and he does it about once every 2 years, but today? I'm takin it. :-)

marigne, your veggies look great to me! Especially in comparison - wait til you see mine :-)

wow, terri, your gluten free sweets look so good.

Ann, I'd love to have your pot pies right now. sounds great on a nice cold Saturday.

wow, kathleen - hour hubby did great! I like the looks of that cauliflower.

ohiomom "don't bogart" roflmao!

But your pizza looks incredible!

Lou, I love your nature pics.

Last night we had a loaf of artisan bread in 5 minutes - it's been in the fridge 2 days. mmmm.
    {{gwi:1495317}}

and SharonCB's drunken salmon with Lee's sweet potatoes with smoked paprika, and some peas.

I fought with the sweet potatoes - trying to get them crisp, before they burned, but as you can see, the sweet potatoes won. :-) They still tasted great, though.

{{gwi:1495318}}

Stacy

• Related Discussions

264 fruiting plants in one greenhouse

Q

Comments (43)
    Fruitnut, Seeing the fan in the nectarine picture gave me a thought- you have such tight spacing in the rows, could you just use a leaf blower or strong fan to take the place of bees? I remember seeing a Jon Clements video a while ago where he was pollinating with a blower. But, I think he may have actually been shooting pollen out the blower. I know- sounds funny. Your pictures are inspirational. Someday I want 2 greenhouses like you have. I'd use one like you do, getting winter chill. The 2nd, I'd like to heat during the winter to grow a 2nd crop to truly produce year round. If one was to spare no expense, there could be a large walk-in refrigeration unit (35-40 degrees) to put potted plants in for long enough to meet chill hours, then move them back into the heated greenhouse for winter production. If you get the timing right, you could grow any fruit at any time. Of course, that assumes enough sun in the climate. That wouldn't be where I currently live, but that doesn't worry me, as I'm sure I'd be retired before trying something like that.
    ...See More

Senate Document 264

Q

Comments (1)
    "Senate Document 264" is a of piece of fiction. Any member of congress can have any bit of tripe inserted in to the Congressional Record whether it has any basis of fact or not, and this is what was done here. If you do find some web site that quotes this piece of nonesense get away from that web site as quickly as possible and do not go back because you can be sure the information there is pretty useless.
    ...See More

What's for dinner? #265

Q

Comments (106)
    Ann T, I am making shrimp and pasta tonight, but try as I might, my efforts will not compare to your visuals..dang girl, you got that style thingie goin! My salad disappeared as did Ann's candles...I mistakenly deleted the photos from picturetrail and poof, no more. Lesson learned = keep uploading and increasing the tariff. LOL Upgrade ahead of me. Michelle, that is one gorgeous plate. Hum, just as I asked myself where you got the corn, then I read the answer. Looks yummy. Bubbe (who is heading for the kitchen)
    ...See More

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More
  • User
    16 years ago

Stacy, I know that you are an artist with the brush, but now you are an artist with your camera.

Ann

• stacy3
    16 years ago

awwww Ann, you literally brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

• User
    16 years ago

Its true Stacy.

DisneyGinger, I've never heard "..... had me by the short hairs...." used quite that way before. LOL!!!

I made SharonCB's Lemon Squares last night. Too late to have for dessert last night so I had to have one for breakfast this morning. Taking some to work.

• jessyf
    16 years ago

DisneyGinger my kid read your post (computer in the kitchen) and wants to know what 'short hairs' means....um...my DH just smirked and walked away...is it what I think it is? Dare/care to explain?

• stacy3
    16 years ago

haaa haaa!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear this one. :-)

Ann, would that be a dessert that I have named Sharon's Lemon Graham Slice? oooh it looks so good - I've gotta make some. I just keep looking at that photo. yum.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

ooops - sorry, I just saw the thread on lemon bars...:-)

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Hi: it's too early to comment on all of the delicious
    looking Food and Photo's. So I won't comment !!!
    How am I supposed to keep a diet.

I just had my delicious mouth watering Waffles. You don't believe me ?????
    Ask Barnmom, we share the secret.

SharonCb:
    I just wanted to put in a Photo of the Mamma Bear, to the Cub, I posted.
    She liked Natural Dried Fruit so I fed her at my doorway.

We go from one Big size to a Mini size critter.
    Here is my daughter feeding Chippy.

LOU

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Google it, Jessy..it is what you thought....I never knew, well really never thought about it!

The ribs and Lemon squares look delicious!

Stacy, your bread came out great...

Sharon, very tasty looking omelette..

Marigene, you eat well even when alone..I have a sandwich!

Terri, your desserts...I wouldn't know they were gluten free, good for you..

Bubbe, I like that face you made How do you do that?? ~

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Stacy....your pictures are looking wonderful....must be the herbs.. ;)
    Enjoy every bite of the lasagna.

Please pass around the lemon bars...yum!

Sharon, too funny about the MLC's. I love the parade pictures....did you get my email? I have little faith in GW... so many don't receive.

Lou...you can keep your bears there please. I've never seen one here myself, but I have friends who actually got bear hunting around here.

I made my first loaf of the 5 Minute bread, last night for dinner too. Sorry, but my loaf pic didn't come out as sharp as it should be. We loved the bread.

{{gwi:1489428}}

{{gwi:1489426}}

Dinner...an adaption of a recipe that Cathy (Mustangs) posted...her's was Bourbon Chicken, I just renamed it Orange Chicken.

{{gwi:1495323}}

Nancy

• User
    16 years ago

No way can I list everyone :) ... the breads look fabulous, I like the look of that orange chicken, the salmon and the omelet with all the veggies .. yummy ! Lemon squares really look tasty ... all the pics are great.

• deborah_ps
    16 years ago

I'm also late in posting how fabulous all the meals look! My tummy is growling!
    Gotta go see if I can scratch something up :)

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

Nancy, the chicken looks delicious, and so does the bread!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

I didn't feel like cooking, so I took my daughters Tiella, from the freezer, earlier.
    It was made with Escarole simmered with EVOO, Shredded Cod, Green Olives, Garlic, etc.
    I added slices of Pepperoni and put it in the toaster oven for 10 minutes.
    I wanted a Surf and Turf, Tiella. Couldn't believe the taste, it was amazing.
    Had to make a second piece.

More Nature Photo's, " American Kestrel ".

{{gwi:1495324}}

These are copies of Photo's taken with my, 35 MM Film Camera.

He was caught in a Badmiton net and his wing was injured.
    I took him home with me for 2 weeks, until he was able to fly.
    This is one of the smallest and most colorful Falcon's in the N America.
    He was about the size of a Cockatiel and just as docile.
    I did this before I knew, you weren't allowed to do this.

LOU

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Oh my Kathleen ROFL

I guess it could be considered by some just one of the food groups

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

I can't name everyone right now either but everything looks great!

Tonight I made subs for us (Club - with roasted chicken, mayo, lettuce, tomato, etc.) along w/roasted tomato soup (Ina's recipe). Yesterday was beautiful here but today turned real cold again and tommorow we are expecting real high winds & more cold. I can't keep up with this ever changing weather!

• vicki_lv_nv
    16 years ago

I sliced a pork tenderloin into "chops" and browned them in the electric skillet with some seasonings (seasoned salt, pepper, garlic, Mrs. Dash Table Blend). Then I poured 3 bottles of Miller Chilada beer in and deglazed the pan (the meat was covered with the beer). Threw in some diced onion and red bell pepper. Set the temp to very low and left it all day long. I took it out 8 hours later and it was very tender and very juicy. DH "pulled" it and we had in on buns. He put bbq sauce on his. I ate mine with mayo and bread and butter pickles. We had some red roasted potatoes along with it. I made gravy from the leftover beer mixture. Pretty tasty for off the top of my head cooking.

• User
    16 years ago

Jessica, behave yourself. LOL!

Lou, we have a Bird of Prey Centre in our area. We watched a couple of their demonstrations in which a Kestrel performs. Kestrels are apparently the smallest bird of prey.

Nancy, Both your dinner and your bread look delicious.

Moe loved dinner tonight. Especially the sweet potatoes with caramelized onions. I don't often cook sweet potatoes. I got home from the store at 5:30 and put a small prime rib on the grill. While it was cooking I caramelized some onions to add to the mashed sweet potatoes, scooped out and sauted some potato balls for parisienne potatoes and steamed fresh asparagus. Took less than 60 minutes to put together.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

Lou, that looks good!

There's a bird rescue organization around here that just brought some to Will's Cub Scout meeting - we saw a horned owl and a red tailed hawk up close - they were so cool. Also a little screech owl. very cute. :-)

Vicki, that sounds good - It hadn't occurred to me to use that beer for cooking.

Ann, I'm not big on prime rib for some reason, but that photo could convert me. And I just love your parisieene potatoes - thanks for the reminder - I may make them for our dinner party Sat night.

Last night the boys made lasagna. Yum! I made a salad to go with it, and while at the store, they also picked up dessert. I passed - they had nutty buddies - lol.

Also baked another small loaf of the artisan bread. here it is at 3 days. They're right - it gets a little better each day.

{{gwi:1495326}}

{{gwi:1495328}}

{{gwi:1495330}}

Stacy

• artsyshell
    16 years ago

Marigene, your baguette with tomatoes, basil and cheese looks sooooo good!

Ohiomom,nice looking pizza..looks like it came from a pizzeria!

Lou, I really like olives, but I don't know if I would like them in a stew. Nice bear photo. Would soo love to have that sandwich you made..oh my does it ever look good!

Ann, your ribs and potpies look good enough to eat off the screen! Your prime rib dinner looks so amazing! I have yet to try the parsienne potatoes, but I am going to have to change that soon. I love your photos, but I have noticed they seem to be a little darker with this camera. Hope your feeling better now.

terri, nice looking dinner..what was the dish in the first photo? Looks really yummy.

Sharon, I just love that photo of your frittata! I have been making one here quite a bit that is topped with lox and sour cream with dill. We really like it. The one I make isn't flipped however, it just starts off on top of the stove and then is finished in the oven in a cast iron pan.

Stacy, your bread always looks amazing, as does your dinner. I always have the same fight with sweet potato fries...never can get them crispy, but they do taste good! Your lasagne makes me want to grab a fork..lol.

Nancy nice looking bread for your first five minute loaf!

Dinner last night was an old standby. Curried prawns with brown rice, and some Indian salmon cakes I got from Vij's restaurant. There is a specialty store here that carries some of their products frozen. Really liked the cakes and would by them again. They were appy sized. Cooked the rice in my new rice cooker. It was so nice to put it in and forget it! Never had a problem cooking rice before but sometimes there would be a timing issue, (dinner unexpectantly not ready when rice was). This way I don't have to worry, I can do it ahead and it just kicks into to keep warm. Didn't even have any baked on brown stuff on the bottom of the pan. It's a krups and can also be used as a slow cooker or steamer, although I haven't tried those functions yet. Sure wish my five minute artisan bread book would get here. Got an email from them saying they are still trying to get a hold of one. (this is through the canadian amazon site).

shelley

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Stacy you are right, Ann's Prime Rib could definitely turn a non-beef eater into one. It always makes me drool and it's a good thing Roxie doesn't see it, she'd be barking her head off.

Shelly...I probably need to order the book also, I'm just waiting to hear what others say here. I'm trying to be good, I already have way too many cookbooks.

Last night we had an easy dinner...Babyback Ribs, FF's and coleslaw.

{{gwi:1495331}}

Tonight we will be having meatloaf made with sweet Italian sausage added to the ground beef. Guess we'll see how it turns out.
    We are still in a blizzard here, all lake effect snow with 50 MPH winds. It's all of 1 degree F, wind chill is -22.

Nancy

Nancy

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Nancy, it's about the same here, winds about 50 MPH and it's about 2 below here, wind chill -25. Elery just started back home a couple of hours ago, I hope it gets better as he goes south.

I'm so far behind I'll never catch up, but Stacy's herbs caught my eye, LOL, and Stacy, your pictures ARE really getting good. Better than mine, LOL.

Ann T's prime rib caught my eye, as that rare beef always does.

Friday night Elery brought his dolmades, made with turkey instead of lamb. We had a greeb salad with tomatoes, homemade croutons from my rye bread, pickled beets, red onions, a little feta. I made maple/mustard dressing to go on it and we had homemade garlic breadsticks on the side. This is Elery's plate, you can tell from the glass of red wine, LOL.

{{gwi:1495334}}

{{gwi:1495292}}

Saturday morning we went to the farm, did the chores and some laundry. I took Dad's grocery list and then picked up Amanda and the kids and went to visit my mother before I leave for California. We took the kids through the Burger King drive through, they didn't like the sauerkraut and sausage I took with me to Mom's, although they did eat the chestnut cupcakes. We picked up Dad's groceries, took Amanda and the kids home, put away the stuff we got, finished the laundry and the dishes. We got home about 8 p.m. and had the same supper we had Friday night. I had gotten a pound of scallops on sale for $4.49 at the local grocery (frozen, but still...). WE didn't even thaw them, we were just too tired.

Elery left a couple of hours ago after having cheese omelettes and toast.

{{gwi:1492641}}

Annie

• User
    16 years ago

Weather is downright chilly here, -20 windchill and blowing snow ... BRRRRR :)

I made chicken, marinated and breaded, browned in olive oil and then cooked with white wine and mushrooms. Ginger-orange carrots and roasted brussel sprouts (or as a friend's children says "hobbit cabbage" :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunday Supper

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Stacy :
    I don't know why I answered your Pizza Dough Post. I'm still PO'D about your Camping Trip. You don't answer me.

Did the Redtailed Hawk look something like this???

{{gwi:1495338}}

Or maybe this ???

{{gwi:1495340}}

We have some Nature Centers around here. People come near here, to Hawk Mtn.,
    From all over the World , to watch the Migration.

Ann :
    I wish you would stop cooking my favorite foods.

Shelley:
    I wasbn't sure about the Olives either but they were good in the Stew.
    That wasn't a Sandwich, It is a " Tiella " sort of an Italian Pot Pie,
    but mostly made with Sea Food. It is an old Mariners dish

One favorite is the Sausage, Ham, Capicola, and Provolone w. Roasted Peppers.

Nancy:

Nancy :
    That looks like a meal I just cooked. Is it Sweet and Sour Sauce?
    Adding Italian Sausage to the meat loaf is mandatory.

Have to go now. If I missed any one. Blame it on Stacy.

LOU

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Stacy :
    I don't know why I answered your Pizza Dough Post. I'm still PO'D about your Camping Trip. You don't answer me.
    I'll Get even!!!

Did the Redtailed Hawk look something like this???

Or maybe this ???

We have some Nature Centers around here. People come near here, to Hawk Mtn.,
    From all over the World , to watch the Migration.

Ann :
    I wish you would stop cooking my favorite foods.

Shelley:
    I wasbn't sure about the Olives either but they were good in the Stew.
    That wasn't a Sandwich, It is a " Tiella " sort of an Italian Pot Pie,
    but mostly made with Sea Food. It is an old Mariners dish

One favorite is the Sausage, Ham, Capicola, and Provolone w. Roasted Peppers.

Nancy:

Nancy :
    That looks like a meal I just cooked. Is it Sweet and Sour Sauce?
    Adding Italian Sausage to the meat loaf is mandatory.

Have to go now. If I missed any one. Blame it on Stacy.

LOU

PS : I hit the wrong Buttons.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Stacy, what camera is that? You are getting good..or is it your "new" lighting?

Shelley, the first photo is the taco bake in it's baking dish out of the oven.

Dinner tonight was a rib rack and potato salad.
    {{gwi:1495344}}
    and
    Tempura Battered Onion Rings and Cod (NO WORMS IN IT!) LOL
    {{gwi:1495345}}

I put the leftover rings and fish in a single layer in the freezer to put into a baggie and have lunch later in the week.
    stripped some rib meat off and smothered in BBQ sauce for hubbies lunch tommorrow..

Oh and I made two loaves of White Gluten Free Bread.

• deborah_ps
    16 years ago

Gee whiz! Doesn't everything look deelish!

Had to laugh about your comment on the cod worms Teri :0 It looks yummy that's for sure!

I made a spinach and gouda souffle, but forgot to take a pic before it fell :)

Two small loaves of no knead bread. Shared a loaf with friends.

And an Apple bread pudding going to a small dinner party...

I certainly hope these pics aren't huge...thought I re-sized them? If they are so sorry...

• bubbeskitchen
    16 years ago

Bubbe's behind again...running to trade show to help DS..I promised to be diligent here, so just letting you know..all I had time to do was look at the pictures...wow!

• kathleen_li
    16 years ago

deborah, your pics are fine! And what's in them even better..gouda souffle sounds very interesting..
    Terri, I'll have the ribs and the rings, please, but I am never eating cod! But then you won't eat clams, either! or was it your son that said they were disgusting...

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Just a drive by, but wanted to comment on all the good looking offerings, from each and every one. Mmm. And the wildlife pictures are wonderful Luigi.
    And Stacy, oh boy, your pictures.

Hey, welcome to the WFD Deborah. Great pictures! And Bubbe, I'm so glad to have you back.

I'm sorry I haven't posted pictures in a while, but I've been busy with Vday stuff. Patience my child ;-Þ.
    Right now, I'm baking the Almond Brioche from Artisan Bread I previously talked about. Jim was hoping I'd make cinnamon rolls, instead of the almond filled rolls.
    I sometimes cave to this dilettante, but today was not the day. And I'm so happy I didn't, the rolls smell so darn good.

Sol

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

Another drive-by (been building a pantry and now work/homework are suffering!).

Had costillitas and frijoles negros (thanks again for the inspiration AnnT!) prefaced with cuba libre cocktails. We needed to be in Havana after the cold yesterday! Wonder what I should do with all the leftover black beans?

• stacy3
    16 years ago

wow, what I can see looks amazing.

For some reason, I am having a terrible time with this thread today. I don't know why. Keeps freezing up. and I don't see all the pics.

Deborah that souffle looks great I've never made one.

Sol, thank you so much... :-)

Terri, it's a Canon powershot A630. Thank you, too.

Lou, yes, I saw the redtailed hawk you posted a couple of loads ago, but it didn't show this time - sigh. That was what he looked like!

Oh, and just for you -

we had a great time - although it was VERY hot. We just booked for this year and our neighbors here are renting a neighboring cabin - should be fun.

Stacy

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Wow! Everything looks great! It's been busy here so nothing very creative.
    I took out some beef stew meat yesterday and split it for two meals.
    I made Beef Broccoli and rice last night and completely forgot to take a picture.
    But here's the other half of the meat in a Beef Stew for Tuesday night!!
    {{gwi:1495349}}

Mostly cleaned out the fridge......... (grin)

Deanna (going back to check out some more of YOUR dinners)

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

More wonderful pics. & none from me.:(

Yesterday I did some Asian cooking and it came out pretty darn good. Eggs rolls and Shrimp with Garlic Sauce. I don't do a whole lot of fried cooking these days but I just really felt like having fried egg rolls. A little time consuming but not bad. I would have done potstickers but didn't have the time for that. I've only made those twice and they were very time consuming.

Tonight is going to be something with bone-in porkloin chops but I haven't decided yet - possibly BBQ if the wind dies down (which it is nothing like what it was yesterday).

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Just driving by too:
    Hi Sol: Thanks, I needed that !
    Stacy:
    I have the same camera. But I have to get out the book and start reading.
    Pushed too many of the wrong buttons.

Don't forget to bring the Green touchup paint, when you go camping.
    And if it is too hot, book in March.
    By the way, who is that beautiful woman in the Photo ???

Kathleen: Are you eating ?

I did another boo boo .
    I made an Italian Loaf and fell asleep, again.
    It Baked too long !!!
    It was good though.

{{gwi:1495350}}

Lou

{{gwi:1495351}}

LOU

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

We are going to have apple rosemary baked chicken, brussel sprouts with lemon and walnuts, baked spuds, and pickled beets. Tonight is the first night I am going to pinch a little to bake. I am looking forward to the Artisan Bread working out well. I made the dough yesterday.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Kathleen, I will eat clams in two forms..."clam strips" and clam chowder. I've even been known dig my own clams and make chowder with them. But not in like 20 years. My family wouldn't eat clam chowder if I paid them a $100! LOL

• jcrowley99
    16 years ago

Tonight we are having beef stew with french bread. My son hates stew but he will be at a math competition so no one will be complaining. I haven't had much time to look at what is going on here since Saturday, but now that I have looked, WOW! Everything looks fabulous! Now I'm hungry.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

YUMMY...Sharon's Lemon Graham Slice is one of our favorites. I add more zest too and a bit more lemon juice!! Oh, it is so good!

Nancy, your ribs and fries look so GOOD!!!! As does your Orange chicken another of my favs and I've not had any in a long time now.

Lou, I like the hood prop on your pizza...LOL!! You are so funny! And your hawk craving is just gorgeous!

Linda, Joe craves veggie and your chicken dinner with carrots and spouts...oh my he would have loved it!

Terri, your onion rings and fish....I'm dying here!!! Would you mind posting the recipe for the batter?

Deborah....spinach and gouda souffle, bread and Apple bread pudding are perfection and #1 in my book!!

Stacy, did you rent this cabin last year? I seem to recall someone looking for meals to cook at a cabin they were renting.

Deanna, delicious looking stew. What size is your pot? I have a 2-qt cast iron but need a larger one. There's nothing better for soups and stews then cast iron!!

I did something really stupid Friday night. I fell and spent the night in emergency getting stitches in my left hand. I was carrying a qt jar and tripped and there was nothing for me to grab to catch myself. My hand was much better on Sunday so at least I could get some of my Valentine's Day gifts finished for mailing.

I made some Valentine's Day Lollipops for my 3 nieces. This was the first time I've made hard candy and it was so easy. The only hard part was getting the mixture to the hard crack point and then working really fast before it burned. With all the stitches in my hand I managed but I did burn the first batch of candy and thankfully had enough Karo Syrup to make another batch.

I used my new Chocolate Maker to melt and keep my chocolate at an even temp and it worked out perfectly...I just love it!!! I could sit at my island and work which helped so much. And Joe helped by keeping an eye on the boiling candy and getting me this and that.

Here's my Valentine's Day Parasol Lollipops. They were a last minute idea and they came out so well. I'm really quite proud of them!!

And here's the big Heart Lollipops.

Michelle

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Needed an easy dinner tonight, oven wasn't working, didn't plan on cooking because I didn't know when the repair guy would show up. I don't think I can afford dinner now that he left :) So it's bagels and lox, pickled herring, egg and tuna salads, and chubs! Dairy dinner! Maybe soup because it's freezing out and we're all chilled to the bone!

Glad you're back, Bubbe!

• deborah_ps
    16 years ago

We need a new site called Michelle Bakes on here!
    You should be proud Michelle, you have such an artistic flair.
    Who eats all your goodies? :)

• User
    16 years ago

Lou your tiella (sp?) looks really good, and your bread :)

I have never made a souffle either, but I love bread pudding ... your bread is looking good too Deborah.

I know I don't list everyone's names, but I do look at and read what you cook ... great food !

Michelle, what can I say ? Your candy is fabulous and your nieces are lucky to have you for an Auntie :)

• User
    16 years ago

Wow, very impressive. The Parasol Lollipops are so pretty.

Ann

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Okay Michelle..you are simply amazing with the goodies you come up with!
    Those parasols look like the tart molds I pour candle wax into... yes? scalloped metal tart molds?

Gluten Free Tempura Batter from 125 Best Gluten Free Recipes by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt

1 c potato starch
    2 t GF baking powder
    1/2 t salt
    1/8 t cayenne~*~
    3/4 milk
    1 T veg oil
    1 egg
    1/2 c sweet rice flour

1 lb large shrimp
    1 lb large scallops
    1 sweet potato sliced 1/8"
    2 small zuchini, cut into 1/4" slices
    4 oz button mushrooms
    4 green onions, cut into 1" pieces

In a large bowl combine potato starch, baking powder, salt and cayenne, mix well and set aside.
    In a seperate bowl, beat milk, oil and egg. Slowly add in dry ingredients. (*This will settle so you'll need to stir here and there as you use it.)
    Dredge seafood and vegetables in sweet rice flour. Dip a few pieces at a time into prepared batter to generously coat. Deep-fry until golden. Drain on Paper Towels.
    *my observation. I used just under a pound of cod filet cut into 2 bite pieces and one whole large sweet onion..there was still about 1/2 c batter left..So it is quite generous.
    ~*~Use paprika if you don't want cayenne (I didn't notice any heat from the cayenne though.) Either one helps with browning. White fish fillets or any vegetable combination works.

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Michelle, your candies are beautiful and am sure your nieces will agree when they receive them. I love it when you post all your goodies; you are a pro.

Dinner tonight was spaghetti with meat sauce, too lazy to make meatballs but I did bake oatmeal/raisin/walnut cookies for Howard's homecoming late this afternoon. He likes them flat and crispy instead of moist and puffy. I won't be snacking on any seeing they have raisins!

{{gwi:1495353}}

{{gwi:1495355}}

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Michelle, your Lollipop's are adorable!!!!

Here is the meatloaf and rutabaga we had for dinner last night

{{gwi:1495356}}

Tonight I baked a broule of the 5-Minute bread and we had meatloaf sandwiches which are my favorite. Should have taken a pic but didn't think of it until it was too late.

Nancy

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Terri, yep I used the little scalloped tart mold that Maryanne sent me. I wanted to make a horizontal like sucker and Maryanne told me to use a small cut-glass bowl. But practical me does not have any small cut-glass bowls...LOL!! But any ways I have lots and lots of baking tins and it worked out so well.

Deborah, unfortunately we don't eat much candy and I do so love making it. But my nieces love it, 12, 8 and 6 years old, so still young enough to send cutesy stuff but old enough to appreciate homemade! My nephew is still a baby, not quite 1, so he has yet to taste any of my goodies but next year he will start getting cookies!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. It means alot to me. :)

Michelle

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

A friend called just as I was getting dinner off the counters and into the process of being cooked. And, I forgot to take the bread snipet off the rising in the refrigerator. So, no bread tonight. And dinner didn't happen until 7pm and was almost ruined.

She is looking for a job and needed my assistance to fine tune her resume. She's been a lovely friend, more like a sister for 30+ years, so there is no way a first attempt at Artisan Bread was more important.

We will have it tomorrow.

I did get a good piece of news today! Kitchen Aid has finally agreed to give me a new double oven. Mine has been a PITA Lemon since day one.

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great photos everyone!
    I hope you liked that Lemon Graham Slice Ann. My daughter found it in one of my Canadian recipe books and made it here when she was visiting some years ago and that started me on that recipe.

Looking forward to someone else having their turn at opening the next WFD thread.
    I have my pics and text ready but let's see someone new have a go at it.

(I'll go and start getting our lunch ready and come back later.)

SharonCb

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH