SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Hostess-ish gift for old friend?

Jamie
10 years ago

You are a half of a long-married couple. I have known you, the wife, for 35 years but we have not socialized as couples and have not seen each other frequently over the years. Despite the way it sounds, we would consider each other close old friends. You are an artist working as a commercial artist. You have refined, conservative taste and are thrifty. I am not aware of your having any luxuries, but you have good quality things and a weekend condo. You live in a high-income, leafy old suburb in a mid-century house that you do not dote on. If we have a conversation about décor, which we have not had for quite some time, it would be about your painting the kitchen cabinets or fixing the yard -- not a decorator-to-trends, you. .Your space reflects art and practicality, rather than décor, I suspect,

You have a grown son, no grandchildren, are still working and your hub has just retired. I am coming for dinner because I am attending a conference nearby. I saw you a couple of weeks ago, but have not been to your home for over 30 years, a single visit soon after you bought it, some years before I was even married. Some of our friends have had graduation parties, etc, for their children, and invited me and others in the old group, but you are not a crowd person and in fact I have never met your son though we discuss him and I see photos. I have lived hundreds of miles away for the past 25 years, and now I'm back and only 150 miles away, and I will probably meet him eventually. We have been getting together more often, and I'd like that to continue.

I'll pick you up at the commuter train after my meeting, and we'll go to your house, where you husband will have prepared dinner. I can't stay long because I have a couple of hours drive home and work the next AM,

When we talked today you said hub is exploring cooking in retirement, that you two went for a bike ride this AM, and that you'd go to the condo retreat this afternoon.
It sounds so odd. I love you and feel I know you very well, yet I have no idea what to bring you.

What gift would you like? You can have anything you would like me to give you.

Comments (13)