SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wifetojoeiii

Do you give/bring a hostess gift?

wifetojoeiii
12 years ago

Please give me your opinions on this. My DH's daughter got married on Friday, 9/9. My very Dear step daughter lives in Florida and we live in NY. The wedding was in NY with many out of town guests. Beautiful wedding, fun reception.

On Saturday afternoon DH & I hosted a party for family and out of town guests at the request of the Bride. The grooms family - Mom & Dad, siblings, extended family, friends from all over, the wedding party, DH's family (his Mom, siblings, etc) all were here. About 40 people. It was a great party.

The pleasure of their company & being able to host this party for my step daughter are the very most important things. I am a woman and thus I have a nagging question -

what has happened to the Hostess/Host gift?

One of the groom's friends brought a case of beer. No one else brought any type hostess gift - typically I give a package of cocktail napkins, a votive candle, a bottle of wine or similar.

p.s. - my DH and I provided a wonderful buffet - this was not a dish to pass event.

I am guessing (hoping??) that the out of towners were out of sorts and did not think of it. Maybe everyone gave all they had to give to the Bride & Groom. Maybe I am obsessive about it? I have stopped in neighborhoods I shouldn't have to pickup something from a liquor store or Walgreens to take as a Hostess Gift!

Your comments are welcomed - and please - the next time someone invites you to their home - stop & get a small, thoughtful gift. It truly is the thought that counts.

Thanks.

Comments (30)