SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sigh_gw

Sofa upholstry that will survive large dog & toddler...

sigh
17 years ago

Hello, all. We're finishing up a lengthy renovation & addition & I'm trying to think about furniture. Specifically, sofas. Our last one was 12 years old when I pushed it out to the curb prior to construction starting. The couch itself was still mostly sound after 12 years of hard living but the upholstry was splitting.

I would like to buy a well made sofa that won't end up getting pushed out to the curb in a few years. I've been spending time on the forum & have gotten a pretty good idea of what to look for as far as "bones" but I'm at a loss as far as upholstry. The couch needs to be comfortable and durable.

I had thought that leather would be out of the question what with a 75 lb rottweiler & 2 1/2 year old. But would fabric be any better & if so what sort? Of course the dog isn't "allowed" up on the sofa but she managed to find her way up there periodically and there's no keeping the cat off of it. And obviously the todler is going to be all over it & any other furniture in the house. Spills will be inevitable. So will drool.

There are two sofas that I'm currently eyeballing. One is a veeeeery traditional Ralph Lauren (made by Henredon) in what appears to be a thick, wool Glen Plaid. The other is an amazingly comfortable top grain aniline leather sofa. the leather is slightly distressed and the leather itself is incredibly thick, soft & supple. I've cared for a LOT of leather in my day & a dark, distressed leather might actually be a good way to go (much to my surprise). Or am I kidding myself?

The leather is gorgeous, but out of our budget. Since this "budget" is currently nonexistant I plan on being calm, patient & waiting for something like a floor sample to come around (which the Ralph Lauren is, so the sofa itself would be around 1500$).

And so, another question- when looking at clearance or floor sample sofas, what should you look for? How should I go about inspecting the piece? And are removable feet on a sofa (albeit wood feet) a bad thing?

Thank you for reading this far & thanks in advance for any help.

Nina

Comments (3)