SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moosemac_gw

How did you survive your kitchen renovation?

moosemac
4 years ago

We are 3 weeks into our kitchen renovation in our 1962 ranch. We did a very minor change to the square footage and gutted the room to the studs. The project is a mish-mash …er I mean collaboration of DYI, GC, cabinetmaker, plumber and electrician who are all family or long-time friends. Think of it as an extended time period Amish barn raising. It has been great fun and I am looking forward to trading in a 1962 kitchen for something a tad more up to date.

Currently I am providing sustenance for six people most nights though lately we’ve had a parade of plumber and electrician friends helping out after work so I’ve been feeding them as well. Take out for a group this big is too darned expensive so I have been cooking 6 nights and doing leftovers one night.

The gas grill has been getting a work out. I am on a first name basis with the guy who fills the propane tanks. I have a new found respect for disposable aluminum steam table pans with lids. I am turning into a one pan meal pro using them.

As for the actual renovation: The cabinets are done and waiting for install. Flooring material has arrived. Wiring and plumbing are run. Appliances are due in next week. The insulation and sheet rocking started today. I have not made my final selection for countertops and backsplash yet though I have narrowed down my choices.

Mentally we are “hangin' in there” but there are times…

We are surviving by:

• Keeping the wine fridge is stocked and restocked

• Finding humor in every twist thrown at us. It’s either laugh or cry…

• Challenging each other to come up with meal ideas using only a disposable aluminum half size steam table pan… Who needs a recipe?! OMG who would have thought mock stir fry would work!

• Appreciating each bit of progress in the project “Oh look the switch for the pendant lights got wired in!”

• Mocking project scope creep, “Yup, I think radiant heat in the kitchen is a great idea!” (We actually opted to do this. The plumber was a tad caught off guard. LOL)

• Starting a pool to bet on when the project will be complete. DH aka the optimist has June 28; DS aka the pessimist has “NEVER”; I have July 19 (I’m going with I’m the realist.)

So tell me, how did you survive your kitchen renovation?

Comments (33)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional