SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skrepka_gw

Hardwood under carpet

16 years ago

Hello everyone.

We are in the process of buying our first house.

The house we are considering has carpet in one of the bedrooms on the main floor, on the stairs leading to the second floor, and all of the second floor (small hallway and two bedrooms). The carpet old, although I don't know how long it has been there.

We have found hardwood under the carpet in the bedrooms. We are not sure what is under the carpet on stairs, but there is hardwood everywhere else in the house, so it is possible that stairs is also hardwood.

My question is this. If we end up buying this house ( we are in the negotiation process), what condition can we expect to find hardwood under the carpet? Based on what we have seen in the house so far, the hardwood in other areas is in good shape. The people who are selling the house do not appear like they did any work on the house just for the sake of beautifying it. So, I am guessing, that most likely, 30 years ago when they bought the house (the house was build in 1953) they either covered exposed hardwood with carpet or possibly replaced the carpet that was there.

I know that nobody can know for sure what we could find once we rip out the carpet, but any personal experience stories would be helpful.

Also, assuming the hardwood was in good shape when it was covered years ago, what can being covered by carped for decades do to it? Would it still be in decent shape? Is there any chance we may get away without refinishing hardwood?

Sorry if this is confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment (1)