SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Everything's a piece of junk!

User
14 years ago

OK, so maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but at the risk of sounding old and curmudgeonly, I'd just like to vent my frustration at how crappy so many things seem to be constructed nowadays. Not even taking into account the way that obsolescence is built in to so many things we purchase today, the mere fact that items, especially electronic/electrical have such a short life span is just infuriating.

When we moved into our house 7 years ago, there was no central air conditioning. The house was cooled by window units alone, and they did a fine job. Due to the untimely death of our floor furnaces (coupled with the fact that no reasonable replacement is even manufactured anymore), we ended up installing a central heat and air conditioning system a few years ago. Our master bedroom is an attic conversion - a large space, it's the majority of the attic which was finished out in 1948 - and unfortunately the way that the room is configured prevented us from installing as many vents in the room as we really needed. So we augment cooling in the bedroom with a window air conditioning unit.

The window units that were in the house when we moved in had been around forever. I'm not sure exactly how old they were, but they were old. Decades old, and still working. We either sold them or gave them away to others who needed them, except for the one upstairs in the bedroom. When that one finally died, we bought a brand new Whirlpool which gave out about a year later. We looked into having it repaired, but quickly learned that just like so many other things today, it's not at all cost-effective to repair when replacement with a completely new unit costs either the same price - or less (but we did pay a repair guy $75 to come out and tell us that - ugh!). That unit also failed and was replaced under warranty. Over the weekend, the most recent unit ceased blowing air, a clear indication of a problem with the motor. It was 5 years old. We also learned over the weekend that Whirlpool no longer makes window air conditioners. Gee, I wonder why?

We've had problems with our big screen tv so many times that I've lost count. We never buy extended warranties on items - but bought the tv through a friend who was working for a big box electronics store and he was somehow able to finagle a good discount, so we sprang for the warranty. Thank goodness, because we've had the repair folks out numerous times. A couple of times, they've even Fed Ex'd the replacement parts directly to us and told us how to make a simple repair. Still - you'd think a tv that cost thousands of dollars would function properly without needing to have parts replaced every 6 to 9 months, wouldn't you?

The lighted medicine cabinet that's been in our bathroom since the 1950s finally croaked a few weeks ago. The electricals just died - but it had worked exactly as it was supposed to for 50 years! We replaced it with a vintage-style cabinet that looks very similar, made by Broan. What do you wanna bet we'll be replacing it again in a matter of a few short years? I've completely lost faith in the way that most things are made these days.

My brand new cell phone keeps turning itself off. I've recently read online reports of this happening to certain Samsung phones - it's an issue that can only be resolved by (yep, you guessed it) replacing the phone completely.

I'm just really struck lately by how incredibly shoddy - and therefore disposable - so many new products are. To think that there are items in my house that have been perfectly serviceable for decades - and compare that to the new replacements I'm finding today that are dead in such a short span of time ... well, it just kinda makes my blood boil. No wonder our landfills are brimming over. ::sigh::

OK ... I'll try to stop ranting now.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals