SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dtilton_gw

HELP!!! How dry is dry for stained wood floors before poly apply?

dtilton
17 years ago

Hi-

My wife and I just refinished the pine wood floors in our dining room and living room- long weekend of sanding! Then we stained with miniwax oil based stain. Applied 2 coats of stain 24 hrs apart, and we probably left the first coat on a bit too long before wiping it off. The next day we added the second coat and wiped within 5 minutes. It's been raining a the past few days here in the Northeast so it's humid and we've had the windows cracked, fans running, and the heat at 80. It's been 48 full hours and when I run a clean white rag across the boards, applying moderate pressure, I get a very faint coloring on the rag. So not 100% dry. I've never done a floor before- is that dry enough to poly or should the rag be completely clean before I poly? Also, there are some sections of board that appear shiny. When I run the rag over them they don't really dull at all- they stay shiny. Is that the way the wood took the stain, or is that the stain hardened over that we didn't wipe well enough? Thanks for looking! -Danny

Comment