updates cont 5/5-5/7

User
13 years ago

Cinco de Mayo :

PT:4:11

Avg:

Miles:

Bellwood FL( Melbourne Beach-Manatee Hammock campground

We talked all day about what we would dofor Cinco de Mayo. Had an early start at 6:30 AM.Rode 5 minutes to the Publix...you saw the pic of me in the kiddie cart. An inspiration for sure. LOL. Today was an apple juice day. I usually drink Gator aide but the taste is so cloying. I hate it. I am a firm believer in trying to maintain your electrolytes and nutrition through normal foods. I have always had good luck doing that when I ran ultra marathons.

When I walk into a store I buy whatever catches my eye and sounds good to me at that moment. I am rarely wrong. I never second guess. Today was apple juice. A great choice. Yesterday was pineapple/orange. I had a peach yogurt in camp and a banana.

We rode long and hard in windy conditions. The wind really saps your strength. We only took a few short stops. We reached Coco in 35 miles as our first long stop. We ate at Murdocks. It was fantastic. The food was exceptional and the music was all oldies. I had 1/2 of a mahimahi wrap and a black eye pea salald. It was so good . I saved the other 1/2 for later. I hated to leave.

We rode along the Intercoastal/Indian River almost all day. When we got to Rockledge we rode slowly past shady homes and beautiful views.

Stopped at a Publix , do you see a theme here ???? I had my 1/2 sandwich and decided to splurge on a small bottle of merlot. The others got chips and beer and dip and grilled a steak.

We always get to bed early...as soon as the lights go out so do we. :)

May6

PT 5hrs

Avg:14

Miles:69.29

Bellwood FL-Ormond Beach

Slept well. Us ear plugs every night. Great sunrise pics. Started pedaling at 7 AM. Unfortunately I didn't eat enough last night and the wine combined with not eating enough this AM all took a toll. I bonked. I also ran over a 2 inch long nail. Pam almost ran into my trailer. I was lucky no one got hurt. The rest went on and Pete changed the tire. I have a no tire change policy. Everyone is good at something so I do the laundry etc for others and then they help me. We got back on the road in a few minutes as Pete is fast !! We smoked along at 16 mph till we got to the others at OakHill. I didn't feel well and was really sweaty and cold. Not good.We stopped in OakHill FL at the Camelot Restaurant. I had a mushroom and swisscheese and

/ham omlette, home fires and large juice , 2 slices of rye toast and a huge amount of butter and strawberry jam. I felt better almost immediately. NO more wine and watch out that I eat enough. It is hard when it is so hot out. I also bought a home made whoopee /moon pie. Yum for later at camp.

We rode US 1 all day. Good shoulder. In Edgewater and New Smyrna we took a local scenic route that was wonderful and shady . Another Riverside Dr and Beach Road. Seems every small town has one.

We camped in Tomoka Park. Lots of mosquitoes . I hate bugs !! Took everyones laundry and did it. Then had to take another shower. Pete and I cooked our own dinner together and the rest did their thing. I made my instant mashpotatoes . I added sauteed yellow bellpepper and also ROma tomato. Some parmasan cheese chunks. Yum. I had bought a huge fruit salad at Publix too. I ate it at 1 AM when I woke up cold and hungry. I put on 2 shirts and felt warmer and full. Slept well.

5/7 47 mile ( other data outside and I am out of time )

We are in St Augustine and taking off tomorrow from riding. First day off in 10 days ! Yowsa !! Will enjoy it. We had a short day today. A north wind so not fast and it was very hot.

Have to go. These computers bumb me out. I miss you all !! c

Comments (9)