SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cicadacat_gw

Color of Quarter Round Shoe Molding for Natural Oak Floors

cicadacat
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to replace my ugly old w/w carpet with new natural red oak engineered wood floors (3 1/2" width) and am trying to figure out what color I should choose for the quarter round shoe molding. My walls are pale gray and the existing trim is white. And while I'd love to have a beautiful, deep baseboard molding, mine is very simple, only about 3 inches and plainly curved (which will somewhat mimic the 1/4 round). My first inclination was to go with white quarter round, to match and visually extend the trim, but apparently many people simply go with a color that matches the floors instead. I've been searching for pictures of both but am not having much luck finding something comparable to what I'll have.

This is my first time getting wood floors so I don't know the pros and cons of a choice like this. Any thoughts from those with more experience? Things I should think about and consider? (I imagine I'll get answers that will tell me just to go with my gut, but I'd also like to hear from others who may have some opinion either way.)

Also, I'm seeing posts about how the shoe molding is being installed. I have to have it because the floor is engineered and floating over concrete, but is it supposed to have a gap between the 1/4 round trim and the floor? How much of one? Should it be nailed to the floor or the baseboard? I need to know what to look for so I can intervene and ask educated questions if I need to.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments (3)