SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Seeking advice on travel in Lima and Santiago?

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

We travel a lot and do our own planning. We have a big trip coming up in December and it's soon time to book flights (a lot of them aren't avail. more than 6 months out).

Our family of 5 is used to ambitious itineraries and this is certainly true again of this trip. We are going to Buenos Aires, Easter Island, Macchu Picchu (yes I know it is the rainy season) and on an Antarctic cruise to boot.

Our itinerary necessitates overnights in Santiago (twice) and Lima (as least once). These are not cities I have ever visited,and I don't know anyone who has, other than for business. Not to malign these cities, but I have learned over the years that if you have never heard of somewhere as a tourist spot ... it probably isn't a very exciting place to visit.

Does anyone have any personal knowledge of these cities? Are they worth more than an overnight (dictated by travel)? I could stay a an extra day or so in each ... but for what? I would not want to take day trips since there is already so much other travel in our schedule ... it would have to be a draw in the city proper.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Typical travel resources are not useful, since I have never seen anyone write an article on a destination that advises you to skip it. They always seem to be written from the assumption that you've already decided to go.

Comments (14)