SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeownersue

Slate fireplace surround

I have what I believe to be black slate surrounding my fireplace in the usual horizontal top piece and two vertical legs, as well as a hearth piece. It is in ok shape, but there are a few stains (don't know what they are since they were here when I bought the house) and faded-out sections. I believe the slate surround to be original to the house so it is about 20 years old. Another problem: Due to poor taping during painting the small wood trim around the slate, there is a little paint on the edges of the two "legs" of slate.

1. How do I remove the paint? I read somewhere that turpentine is the thing to use, but I am wary about using it on stone. The paint, by the way, is indoor latex-based.

2. I'd like to "liven up" the slate, which looks dull in spots, and also try to alleviate the stain (which looks like a faded-out spot--perhaps it is water mark or something like that). I have heard of stone color enhancers/sealers -- would they be appropriate products to try?

Not sure if this makes any difference to these questions, but it is a working fireplace (though I have yet to summon up the nerve to light a fire in it!) and it is a galvanized metal insert-type of fireplace, not a brick chimney/hearth.

Thanks for any suggestions....

Comments (4)