SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

How can I tell if my concrete floor is sealed?

Janice
15 years ago

I poured about 1/4 cup of water on the floor and it sat there like it was on the counter top--didn't spread out or anything!

I waited over 5 mins and it seemed to spread out a very tiny bit but still was mounded.

I wiped it up with a Bounty towel (of course it was 'Bounty) and the area under the water was VERY dark like I'd expect it

to look when wet! Also, earlier today, I poured out several large amounts of water on the area to see where it would puddle.

That was very 'telling' and the areas that puddled the most, sat that way for a couple of hours until I finally mopped them up.

But, now about 6 hours later, they are still very wet looking in color. They are not shiny but very dark yet!

So, is it sealed, you think or not?

I'm in such a dilemna, because we have our SIL coming on Saturday to help lay our laminate flooring

and we just managed to clear the room and I have found some very slight (1/8") dips in the flooring!

Most of the area is not wavy or dipped but I have several dinner plate size and larger that are definitely

not flat or even with all others!

So, my dilemna is, it sounds like if our floor is sealed I HAVE TO remove the sealant in some way! Time is

a factor given we don't have long to get this done before Saturday!

ANY suggestions as to what to do, or thoughts about whether my floor may be be sealed--or not?

Thank you so much for any time taken to help me figure this out!!

Janice

PS Is 3/8" (or slightly more) plywood a good option over scarifying the surfaces?

I also have big issues with the cement dust that would be created by big time scarfying machinery or sanding--real respiratory concerns!

Comments (5)