SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjammjam

Should I seal my marble shower floor and walls myself before grout??

mjammjam
6 years ago

I am in process of doing guest bathroom. The shower floors are marble, as is the wall design. The white tiles are glass - not marble. I can't find the post that explains what marble sealer to use before the grout goes on. Even if it only helps a little, I will still do it. It's not the main shower, but will be used every weekend. Should I seal the wall design the same way? Thanks for your help, as always!

Also, there's no heat in the house yet -- Does that matter for sealing?

Comments (29)

• SJ McCarthy
    6 years ago

The marble will require 3-4 applications the first time. Professional marble tile setters will often seal the tiles BEFORE they install the tiles and then apply the sealer 3-4 more times after they are installed. This is normal and to be expected for a newly installed marble. And then regular sealing maintenance every 6 months or so for the first few years. And then that slows down as the tiles become saturated with the sealant.

As to order of application, I will let the tile/stone experts offer that one up. The lack of heat issue will SLOW DOWN the curing process. It could cause the cure time to triple or quadruple.

The lack of heat/conditioning the in the space will void every warranty for every surface installed. That includes drywall, water proofing, paint, tile, mortar, cabinets, counters, etc.

Good luck.

mjammjam thanked SJ McCarthy
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

"I can't find the post that explains what marble sealer to use before the grout goes on." You needed to find the 100's of posts pertaining to waterproofing. Sorry sealer won't save your situation.

mjammjam thanked Creative Tile Eastern CT
  • Related Discussions

sealing marble floor tile before grouting

Q

Comments (7)
    Let me put it this way. I've heard some real horror stories in here from people who haven't sealed their marble. But I also had a marble master bath for years. It never got sealed, and was none the worse for wear. Especially being that this is a powder room, it's not going to see as much use as a normal bathroom would, especially with respect to chemicals, such as make up, soaps, dyes, perfumes, etc.. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
    ...See More

marble pebble shower floor -- sealing, grout?

Q

Comments (1)
    We have stone pebbles and three coats of sealer/enhancer on both the stones and grout. I don't know the types because the contractor did it and we don't have the packages. we put on three coats to keep the stones looking wet and darker. But I do know that it isn't slippery at all. the stones are very agreeably bumpy underfoot. we've only been using this shower for about a month, but so far I am totally pleased with the choice.
    ...See More

Sealing Polished Marble Floor/Shower Stall in Bath - Is it necessary?

Q

Comments (9)
    We have a new marble shower floor, basket weave. While it is sealed and we use only ph balanced products, I expect etches. A.friend has had a marble shower floor and vanity counter for 10 years. Same marble for both shower floor and vanity.top. She has minimal etching ( I couldn’t see it without a hard look) and no staining on the shower floor. Her vanity counter is a different story. I think the shower floor still looks lovely because she can better control what products are used there ( they’re ph balanced) and no one brushes their teeth or shaves in the shower. It’s strictly soap ( ph balanced): shampoo , conditioner ( ditto on the ph balanced) . Plus a ph balanced cleanser. I’m hoping my tile fares as well. I’m following my friend’s advice on caring for it. If not, at least it’s patterned and hopefully less likely to show etching. And if it does show, I can live with the reality. We had a plain tile shower and main bathroom floor before now and it was subject to damage too. Chips, scratches...all unsightly.
    ...See More

Shower remodel—should grout be sealed before using?

Q

Comments (1)
    Technically a properly constructed shower can be used with no tile. So not it does not have to be grouted. I would want it grout just to not allow a crap ton of water behind the tile but technically it can be used. Grout sealing will depend on the type of grout selected.
    ...See More
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmmmm --- My contractor is the one installing this marble in the bathroom. The ones who sold me the marble said it didn't require sealing. I don't know about the waterproofing, Creative. I will call tomorrow and see what to do.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will search waterproofing posts and see what I find....

• Diane
    6 years ago
    What other poster was referring to is it looks like there is an absence of proper waterproofing. You might want to look into this further, you will likely get a few more posts concerning waterproofing questions instead of answers to your marvel sealing question.
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What do you mean, Diane? How does it look like there is an absence of waterproofing? What do I need to look into??? Yet another thing I have to learn about. This is the reason for my contractor and designer who I pay handsomely!

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    6 years ago

mjammjam, Cement board is NOT waterproof. There would be a liner over the shower curb which now has cement board fastened through the liner. That translates to holes in the waterproofing. Same with tub deck. Any in progress photo's will help greatly. When what we see is wrong you can assume the same for what can't be seen. It doesn't matter how beautiful the tile came out if the waterproofing was not done correctly.

To answer your sealing question it is the responsibility of the tile setter to seal and provide you with a complete project. You should not need to do anything.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OK . I don't understand most of this. I will text my contractor now and tell him this. What should be there? Can it be repaired before they add any more tile?? I will also show my designer . -- I cannot believe that I am in this jam!

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just texted my contractor and designer asking if this shower was waterproofed. I'll see what they both tell me.....

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I took this photo before the marble went up on the wall

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is the answer he just gave me: Does it make any sense to you??

The walls are screwed in above the vinyl pan the sill is covered with a granite saddle and screws are silicon

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do not know what I am supposed to do. My designer just texted me and said it looks right to her too -- She is a builder. What am I supposed to do? I don't even know what to ask for. What are the multiple errors? What major issues in due time? How does it get fixed? Who needs to see this? Who do I call?????????

Where else can I post this to get help?

• Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    Ask them what moisture barrier was used on the wall.
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tundra -

Who's saying you shouldn't have told me?

I'm asking because I obviously have no idea what this means. This is response from my contractor just now:

Think about it it is cement board with tile on wall and the water runs off how much there is in wall no moisture entering wall

Some times with a pure marble wall tile you can put a paint type product call red Gaurd

I did not put it on my own

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am at a loss -- I am back and forth with my contractor now -- I believe you guys, but don't know how to proceed.

Creative - Based on my contractor's last text, I'm sure there is no plastic anywhere. It's difficult to question him when I'm not even sure what I'm saying. He says he has never had a problem. The designer I'm working with builds homes; she should know, but she isn't saying this to me....

Thank you all . -- I will have to address this with them tomorrow AM. What should I ask them to do? Put a plastic barrier behind the tile - in front of the cement board? What kind of plastic? I guess I will be late for work tomorrow as I shop for plastic....UGH

OHHH - This is the 2nd bathroom they've done for me. The other one is in the basement. Does this plastic go on all shower walls, or just behind marble?

• User
    6 years ago

It’s incorrectly constructed. The only remedy is to rip it all out and start over. They do not understand how a shower should be built.

mjammjam thanked User
  • Bri Bosh
    6 years ago
    https://www.diytileguy.com/shower-waterproofing/

Unfortunately Sophie is correct. There is no way to remedy this without tearing out the marble and installing a moisture barrier. The problem is, that while moisture wont necessarily damage the cement board that you see behind the tile, the cement board does serve as a sponge. So the cement board will absorb moisture and wick it through to the studs behind the cement board, causing rot and mold and other issues. It could also cause tile to fall off the wall. Read the link above so you can feel a little more educated on the topic before talking to your contractor tomorrow!
    mjammjam thanked Bri Bosh
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

OK -- I have a question. I understand now where the plastic goes. The other side of the marble wall is in the garage. Should they use the plastic behind the cement board by adding it from behind? Does this make sense? Inside the garage is the back of the bathroom. Will that work?? I'm trying to figure out how to salvage the marble tile and only have to buy the subway tiles again....

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    6 years ago

@Briana, Good link. It saved a lot of typing. Some questionable statements but good overall comparison summary. mjammjam - No. The poly needs to protect the studs as well as the wall cavity. I'm not sure why you are concerned about saving material. The person who installed it owns it from that point. They are responsible for replacing damaged material caused by their failure to follow industry standards. YOU should not be purchasing poly, sealer, or replacement material. Contractor needs to step up and accept responsibility for their lack of knowledge. In your conversation inquire if the floor liner under the mud base is directly on the plywood laying flat. This would be another failure as a preslope under the liner is required. Save yourself a lot of explaining and share this thread. Would the builder want their name attached to these photos. That should do it:)

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I have a feeling g he’s going to say there’s nothing wrong with the way he did it. I only basically know what to say. As far as the floor, there’s concrete underneath. Do these photos help? We built out into garage for more shower space
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Spoke with worker today who said there is vinyl under floor tile that goes up the wall 8 inches. He’s never used plastic on shower walls and has never seen plastic when they demo bathrooms?!!?!!?!! Waiting to speak with contractor ———-
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    6 years ago

Do they think cement board is waterproof. It is NOT. Liner needs to be 3" above the finished curb. 8" means nothing. There should never be fasteners in the curb. Cement board does not continue into the mud bed for the type of system they attempted. These are non debatable facts. Purchase the handbook I provided the link for earlier. You could look at your installers copy as no professional tile setter would know his/her trade without one. Are the glass tiles rated for showers? Will they withstand the thermal shock from cool air conditioned temperatures to being hit with hot water? These are just some of the details a professional will address concerning your project. There are many more.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I spoke to one of the workers today and told him it was industry standard to use this plastic. I don't know anything about curbs or mud, or any of those other words. I asked him about this book, and of course, he looked at me like I was crazy. My husband spoke to the contractor who said this is totally unnecessary, and that he has been doing this for years this way, even in his own house. -- I told him .- this puts me in a weird predicament because I don't want the job to be done wrong, and I'm not convinced that this is right. We are at a stand-still. I want to take a hammer to those tiles-- I am waiting to hear from the store-owner who sold me the tiles and ask her advice about what I can do now..... I am also going to ask her about the glass shower tiles with cold and hot water. This is why I hired a Contractor -- I don't want to make all these calls and teach myself how to install a bathroom, or a floor, or a fireplace!

Creative - I cannot thank you enough. I looked through the book you are referring to. The contractor thinks I'm reading into everything because this isn't the first thing I've complained about....

This is the text he sent me this morning

"The vinyl on floor and up walls about a foot and up seat area and on wall behind you do not need on walls unless steam shower nobody puts on wall you are reading to much

No concern my own shower is done like this"

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Unfortunately, there are a lot of homeowners out there who accepted this kind of work without questioning it. As stressful as this is for you, be glad that you ARE questioning the work. You are one of the lucky ones who hopefully will get this corrected. Some old dogs can't learn new tricks, so it may get worse before it gets better. Hold on to the fact that you are not asking for anything out of the ordinary. You just want it done to industry standards.

mjammjam thanked User
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

He thinks it is good the way it is and does not want to fix it.... It is such an uncomfortable situation -- I don't know how to move forward. I don't know what to ask for or what exactly has to be done. He says it's fine ---- Now What? If I say, "Do it over!" -- He's going to say, "Do What? Add the plastic?" I'm not even sure what I'm saying at this point. I need someone to come here and show me or them what has to be done......

Is there a way to pick off the tiles and salvage them? OR Is that another waste of money?

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    6 years ago

"I need someone to come here and show me or them what has to be done......"

You are correct. Get a local specialty tile shop to come and look at your project. Explain the situation and offer to pay them for their professional opinion and a quote to do the job correctly. (according to TCNA specs) Now you will have what you need in writing. (a price and a approved method) Proceed from there. Yours is a common story so don't feel you are alone. Pros hate to see this but we do every single day. Remember quality tile setters will not be available the next day as they are in high demand and you now know the reason why. Hope all works out.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Creative!! I will work on finding someone tomorrow. I just don't know who to trust. Even my designer, who builds homes here on LI, isn't answering my texts anymore about it.......