SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fscott55

How much of the unvented gas FP warnings are BS?

fscott55
15 years ago

My dad always told me, whenever you smell BS, brush your teeth. See, the point is, I'm looking, and I'm reading all through this forum and see all these warnings and naysayers who scream DEATH whenever someone asks about unvented gas appliances. We are considering a wood zero-clearance or an unvented FP. We currently have nothing for a fireplace, so everything is stickbuilt. So, no I don't sell unventd fireplaces, I don't work anywhere that does, I have nothing to do with unvented FP's. I'm just a simple man looking for a simple way to heat - but something smells strange here... very strange...

So I'm gonna ask and make a few statements.

Many years agao - what did many folks heat their houses with? Kerosene heaters. We did, big time. What did people cook with? Well first it was wood stoves, then unvented gas stoves for many years. Anyone remember their grandma cooking on that old, unsafe, gas stove? Well heck, she lived to be 94.

The amish folks north of me burn lanterns running on, yup, you guessed it, white gas. They also have a plethora of ceiling mounted "lightbulbs" that burn natural gas, constantly, all day and all night. Ever walk into a real amish furniture store where they have 20 natural gas bulbs burning? They seem pretty healthy to me...

And someting about this "water being poured into the air" like Niagra Falls.... Well, tell ya what, my wife puts more water into the air when she's cooking and watching the dishwasher steam dry the dishes... sheesh.. wanna talk about water in the air and onto the ceilings? I don't see steam coming from unvented fireplaces?

And finally, all this negative talk about how terrible unvented products - how much of it is simply hearsay because you read it somewhere on the internet that unvented is unsafe? I see the same old links being thrown around that have the same old articles and same old stories about how unvented gas appliances destroyed their home, caused mold to grow out of control, put a permanent film on their windows, even killed their cat, and caused a divorce..

Seriously though - everyone I've talked to, my sister, and two co-workers absolutely love their unvented gas FP's, and they have had no problems likw the one's you read on those famous linked pages full of dissatisfied poor souls.

I'm wondering, are the problem truly caused by the unvented gas FP, or does the problem stem from stupid people? Like the lady told me theor other day at Suburban Fireplace, one guy was complaining that his unvented gas FP was putting off soot, come to find out the retardo had a habit of roasting weiners over his fire.....

So where is the statistics on how many unvented as FP units are owned by stupid idiots? I doubt we will ever see any.

Comments (20)