SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vandredi

15.5 hp OHV B&S backfiring through carburetor

vandredi
12 years ago

hello all, i have a sears craftsman lawn tractor,it will crank and run, but it ''pops'' thru the carburetor, every few rotations, here is my story, the mower has set up for about 3 years, i got it to run, then cleaned out the gas tank,lines, and carburetor, it still popped,replaced the spark plug gaped to .030, replaced the key way, then i adjusted the valves to .004 in & .006 ex, it still pops,inspected the valves, no burn, but lapped them for good measure, replaced head gasket, still it pops,i sprayed carb cleaner around all gaskets and the carb, no air leaks found, it will smooth out and not pop as much at one ''sweet spot'' on the throttle, almost full throttle,if you try to idle down it pops, i did notice that when i tried to adjust the fuel air mix screw, it had no effect, in or out no change in performance,so i removed the carb again and cleaned it with carb cleaner and a guitar string, removed all jets and needle, it looked like a new one,i also tested the fuel solenoid, it works fine here is the motor info; engine model=28N707...type=0173-01..b&s 15.5 hp..ohv.i/c platinum turbo cool...any input would be great, the mower is pretty nice and dont appear to be altered in any way,...UPDATE,i was reading in a forum and it mentioned a intake valve seal, when i did the head i did not see a seal on the intake valve, could this be my problem? also i removed the oil cap while it was running and it blew oil out, would this also be a symptom of a missing intake valve seal? i have worked and cleaned on this engine for weeks, it starts like a dream, if you think it is the valve seal, i need to know where it goes, i cant find a clear picture of one installed, only a exploded diagram, it seems vague to me, i want to get it right, thanks in advance for your advice

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville