SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

College Bound: Opinions Needed On Textbook Options

lynninnewmexico
11 years ago

We were in Oklahoma last week getting DD registered and set up for college. There are two new options for their needed textbooks that DS didn't have when he started college nine years ago.

Now they not only have the option to buy their needed textbooks new or used, selling them back for a ridiculously small amount (what a racket!), but these kids can now rent their textbooks or buy them as an E-book for a Kindle, etc.

I have no idea as yet how much it would cost to rent them, do you? The pros to this option that I can see are (1)saving a lot of money on ridiculously expensive text books that she won't want to keep anyway and (2) avoiding the hassle of selling them back to the bookstore afterwards . . . for a small fraction of what they cost her.

Regarding the E-book option, I wouldn't be opposed to buying her one if this was the best choice. Pros: it would take up much less space and weigh a fraction of what a load of heavy textbooks would to carry around to classes. I have no clue how much online textbooks cost, though, or if most (for freshman, at least) are available like that. Cons: how easy is it to read textbooks like that? Can you underline or highlight them?

I would really appreciate hearing your own kid's experiences with any of the above. And your opinions and experiences with E-reader books and/or textbooks, etc.

Thanks!!!

Lynn

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions