SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marenal_gw

Electric underfloor heating mats in kitchen?

MarenAL
10 years ago

We are making some final choices on our kitchen floor, and the last decision is whether to have some electric floor heating mats placed under the new tile. I would love to hear some opinions.

Here is the set-up: We live in the South (US), and our house insulation is horrible, which seems to be the norm here. We have gas heat. The kitchen is without a doubt the coldest place in the house, primarily because it sits over the garage. Before we added insulation rolls to the ceiling of the garage under the kitchen floor joists, there was no insulation there. So, in the winter, the kitchen is difficult to heat even when the rest of the house is at the right temp. I will sometimes go outside and feel WARMER than I do in my heated house.

We are replacing our sheet vinyl with porcelain tile. We have been considering adding the electric floor mats under the tile, probably just in the main cooking area (for cost reasons). We will have pros do the floor install.

Does anyone have this type of product (Laticrete or SunWatts brand at Lowe's), and if so, is it worth the cost? Any information on what is the best brand?

Comments (12)