SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

Downsizing and funk!

jterrilynn
10 years ago

Jiminy Crickets I’m in a bad funk. I almost can’t stand to be around me. I like my house and area I live but apparently we have one foot in the grave and must start preparing for old age…like yesterday. Sheesh! The worst part is the limited market and the outright crap in that particular market. All the people living in nasty incrusted toilet bowls with roofs are trying to cash in on the low inventory by listing their houses for stupid over the top prices. I think they are on crack. I’m trying to keep in creative mode (mostly for my sanity) by remodeling them on my “paint” program. I even play around with the floor plans and add additions and such. It most always comes out at least a $100,000 more than what we wanted our top price to be. Then I get sad because I don’t want to live in ugly. My house isn’t grand but I think it nice and I love my pretty but large yard. Needless to say I am NOT adjusting well.

My sanity project yesterday and today!

A near tear down but the owners seem oblivious to this. The floors are different levels from little add-ons. The kitchen cabinets and most all the appliances are original 1961 and in bad shape. The bathrooms are original and in very bad shape. Everything is original except a few windows. The garage is so low that the door opener mechanisms are off to the side and the doors open to about 4 ½ feet off the ground. The house is slightly over 1400 sf living area.
So, you might be wondering why I’m even looking at it. Well, the neighborhood isn’t stellar but the location is good and it has that old Florida feel I’m looking for. There are lots of mature trees on the street to, plus it’s convenient to the interstate, turnpike, new trendy restaurants and shopping. And, since we are apparently near death the hospital is mere minutes away. The library is within walking distance as well. Half a handful of people have mowed a few of these little homes down and put up very BOSSY out of place two story mini Mc Mansions. Not on this road though. I offered $25,000 above the land value price and I guess they are insulted because I have heard nothing. Maybe something else will come up.

Before…

After…

The floor plan and addition I’m playing with.

This is the before…

This is the roof I would pick. This is a good roof for hurricanes plus there are a few other such roofs in the neighborhood. This house has a tongue and groove roof as opposed to the newer strap down for codes. However, the old roofs like this are almost petrified and you have to drill into them, they are very storm hardy.

I know there are other empty nesters out there that have downsized and had to adjust but am I crazier than most lol?

Comments (19)