SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

What Are Your 2017 Goals?

LynnNM
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I hate New Year resolutions, but I do like to set some positive goals at the start of each new year. So how about you? What are your realistic, hopefully-achievable goals for 2017?

Mine:

- Get back into yoga on a couple-times-a-week basis

- downsize all my holiday decorations (Shee's new thread here today will hopefully spur me on!)

- I've had a healthful eating blog for over a year now, although it's just for DH's patients, our extended families, and local close friends. Both my adult kids (32 & 22 y/o) have asked me to write a cookbook for them with my recipes and healthful substitutions. With DH adding in a few chapters on what foods to avoid and why, and proven medical facts and ways to help avoid heart disease, Type-2 Diabetes, senior dementia, etc. So have relatives and quite a few of our patients. So, I'm going to do it. Somehow. I have a background in journalism, so the writing is not a problem. I'm just trying to figure out the rest of it now!

- arrange and take a European river cruise with DH this coming Autumn.

- decide whether to have the two cream colored living room sofas reupholstered or replaced, and do it.

- replace our MBR comforter, shams and rugs, as all are starting to fall apart.

- seriously reorganize my home storage areas. This being an all-adobe home in the mountains (most walls between rooms are adobe, too) we sadly have neither a basement or attic. At the moment, every storage area we do have is crammed full and a disorganized mess.

- my one last goal is to not try to influence DD in any way, as she chooses which university to go to for grad school this June. I want her to go wherever she truly feels will benefit her career goals the best. This one will be the hardest, as one is very close to my family in Michigan, and where we vacation a few times every year. Another is just a four-hour drive away from home here. But, there are a couple of other contenders, as well.

I'm trying to keep my goals list short and realistic. So, what are yours???

Comments (55)

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

I usually don't like the idea of setting "New Years" goals, since that is such an arbitrary time, (January) and not a time when I am feeling particularly energetic. But I am feeling a bit blue lately because I have become rather uninspired and bogged down in my personal life and I'd love to kick myself out of it this year. I am a firm believer in baby steps, so this year I am selecting three environmental goals to work on, to cheer myself up as I watch the oligarchs rape and pillage whatever shred of harmony with nature we had left in this country. There are three areas of our lives where we have the most impact on the environment, so if one really wants to make a significant difference it is a wise use of time and resources to tackle something out of the top three.

1. Home heating and cooling is number one. In this realm, I think SO
      and I are going to go forward with covering our screened-in porch with
      re-usable plastic sheeting. I found some great tutorials online for
      it. It will also protect many of the things we leave out on the porch
      year round. SO may redo some of the siding on two ends of our house,
      and we'll look at insulation at that time, but that is not for certain
      so I'm just sticking with the one small goal for the porch and if we
      redo the siding and have a chance to add additional insulation, so much
      the better.

2. Transportation is our number two use of fossil fuels. So my resolution is to get a bike. I had one and it got stolen and I haven't found one I like to replace it, but if I got a good commuting bike I could at least run some of my errands via bike. Would be good for my health and fitness as well as the environment. Best to buy a good used one but we'll see if I can find something I like used. Watch this space.

3. Food (growing it and transporting it) is number three for your environmental impact depending on how you run the numbers. The food system is my passion in the science, art and cultural realm, so I'm already doing a lot like eating as local as possible, low on the food chain, minimal packaging, growing my own, etc. So I'm going to focus on my preparation and do two things I have been wanting to try for years, buy an induction burner to experiment with how it might impact my energy use for canning, and buy a pressure cooker. Also, I am getting some blueberry bushes this spring for work so at the same time I plan on tearing out some useless, overgrown and dying arborvitae on one end of my house and replacing them with blueberry bushes. Free food via free solar energy. I also could frequent the local farm markets more often, although they are on Saturday mornings and I am notorious for loafing around then and not getting out in time. So that one is more of a pipe dream than a realistic goal. :)

LynnNM thanked l pinkmountain
  • MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Ruh-roh. We were supposed to have goals?

LynnNM thanked MtnRdRedux
  • Related Discussions

What are your goals for your garden this year

Q

Comments (21)
    Oh, wow, where do I start. My Mom died in July and I inherited her orchids. I know how to water them and that's about it, so I'll need to learn to repot as many of them are growing out of their bounds. I also inherited a big hoya that I need to revive since the landscapers at her house yanked it out of the pot and were going to toss it. I got it back but it's worse for the wear. My other goal is to improve the look of the protected back yard garden in the winter months. I have lots of plants that look great and lush in summer but in the winter it looks pretty bare back there, particularly the plumeria "sticks". I like low maintenance plants with a lot of color, so I'm looking for a lot of different species of crotons, I think they look great and particuarly if there are a lot of them planted in groupings. I also want to keep planting beds and ground cover so I can eventually get rid of all my grass. I'd like to start vermicomposting. And when my mom's house sells, I'll put in a walled courtyard with a pool, so it will be fun to plan the landscape for that area. I'm really looking forward to that.
    ...See More

February, 2017 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (20)
    Rita, my doc told me up front that he recommended at least a week off. And he told me that it will be 3-6 months of PT. Today I'm not so sure I'm ready to go back on Mon. I haven't even attempted a shower yet, and the thought of getting ready for work and driving all the way there by myself is kind of overwhelming. Yesterday was the first day I had a normal shirt on (I'd been wearing a huge papery shirt that went around the arm and sling). Today when my DH helped me put a shirt on I kind of freaked out having the sling off. I know it's a process. :) I'm just terrified of doing something wrong and undoing what was done on Monday! Donna
    ...See More

March, 2017 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (8)
    Tennessee came in like a lion with all the bad storms yesterday. I am thankful for the warmer weather :-) I have my Sewn Seeds quilt on the long arm. I hope I can get started on that?? I also have 2 t-shirt quilts I need to get started on. I've not made one of them before, so I'll be back with advice on that! I'd like to get them laid out so I can get the stabilizer on them. I don't think it will take long if I can just get started on it. I do have a cute story to share..... There is a young guy (28) that exercises with us (community gym) in the mornings. He has a 1 yr old little boy and wanted to create a daddy-style "tactical" fanny pack to replace the diaper bag when they go out. I got him started on how to create a pattern and basic cutting and sewing techniques. I want you to know, he has taken off on this and you wouldn't believe how well he's done!!! He even bought his own sewing machine and dreams of sewing in his sleep!! He commented the other day that he wanted to stay home from work and sew! My boyfriend commented that he hears that from me all the time :-)
    ...See More

June, 2017 Quilting/Sewing Goals

Q

Comments (12)
    I got my three lotto blocks for June, July and August in the mail and finished my One Block Wonder top. I'm going to try to get two tops sandwiched, quilted and bound this month, but truth be told, I like to piece way more than I like to quilt. I would like to finish the two last placemats for my daughter. Maybe I'll work on my scrappy log cabin and Bonnie Hunter's Boxy Stars and String-X too. That should do it. I'll be going to New York to visit my sis for a week, so that will cut into my quilting time this month.
    ...See More
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

Keep breathing....

LynnNM thanked Olychick
  • Bonnie
    7 years ago

Retire

Travel (2 trips planned)

Garden more....

That's all....................................................................

LynnNM thanked Bonnie
  • legomom23
    7 years ago

Cattyles- yes we have CASA, and yes, I'm scared to do it just like you. We only have one son as well- he is 14. We have considered fostering, but right now have decided it's not a good idea with DS entering high school. I'm not sure what I can handle as far as how involved I can get. It seems like a slippery slope. But I have to try.

LynnNM thanked legomom23
  • Mimou-GW
    7 years ago

Legomom, I always hesitate to suggest the Fuhrman 6 week plan because some people find it a bit extreme. Just tell yourself it is only for 6 weeks and stick to it. I didn't buy any books, everything can be found online. I went on it for 6 weeks and never really went off it. I feel so much better and I love how my clothes fit. A bit of sugar, salt and dairy did creep in over the holidays so I plan to adhere strictly to the 6 week plan after new years just to get myself back on track.

I know the "pitfalls" of fostering evidenced by DS2! Joy and sorrow but mostly joy.

LynnNM thanked Mimou-GW
  • Sueb20
    7 years ago

Someone mentioned wallowing -- that sums up how I'm feeling at the end of 2016 and my goal is to snap out of it! I had ovaries/tubes removed 6 weeks ago and I'm sort of depressed that I don't yet have my normal energy back. Also dealing with hormonal effects like night sweats, lack of sleep...which are obviously not helping with energy level. I did yoga for about 20 minutes a couple of weeks ago and it almost killed me. Finally went for a 1/2 hour walk the other day and I felt good, so am planning to stick with that and work up to longer, more vigorous walks and will try yoga again next week. I know exercise is what I need but getting motivated has been hard. I also need to lose about 10 lbs and I was going to do the Whole 30 but I want DH to do it with me and I think that will be too extreme for him, so I think we'll start with "100 Days of Real Food" and go from there.

We also have to get used to life with a smaller family at home. Oldest DS moved out 3 weeks ago. He has a lot of "issues" but has matured, has a decent job, and is almost 25, so it's time, and we are hoping it works out. He moved out a few years ago but it only lasted about 6 months. Middle DS will be in London Jan-May, which leaves only one kiddo at home until he's back for the summer. She's 15 and a competive gymnast so she's not home much, so it will almost feel like an empty nest around here. Coupled with the fact that DH has scaled back and is working fewer hours, we have an interesting sort of transition phase.

We have some fun trips to plan so that will be one focus -- DH will visit DS in London in late Feb., and I will visit in April. DD, DH, and I are going to Williamsburg for a few days in April. And in the summer, we are all going to South Korea (where DD was born) and Maui! Kind of intimidating -- I have not been on a flight that long before -- but exciting.

LynnNM thanked Sueb20
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Sue I am so sorry you are dealing with that low energy hormone problem thing. It's the bane of my life. I don't put it as a goal for a particular year, because it is a constant struggle for me to eat right and get some exercise, which are of course the best medicines but it would be a heck of a lot easier to just take a pep pill! Anyway, I hear ya, I sympathize and I'm rooting for you! I'm also going through some family frustrations with family members who just keep repeating the same bad patterns over and over. It is very draining. But one can always hope, and that's what you are doing so glass half full!!

As for the fostering thing, any chance you guys could do something like Big Brothers or Big Sisters, or volunteer at an afterschool program, YMCA, Scouts or something like that. I know some folks dealing with troubled children really appreciate even an hour or two of support!!

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

Love this. Stolen from Facebook.

LynnNM thanked Sueb20
  • Olychick
    7 years ago

Oh, I do love Anne Lamott! Thanks for posting this.

LynnNM thanked Olychick
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    7 years ago

What a thought-provoking reading in the Lamott statement above. Thanks for sharing it, Sueb20.

One thing I have decided is to spend less time on the computer. At this moment, have decided to be on the computer until 1:00 p.m. (very near that time now), then do housekeeping work during the afternoon.

The other is to start walking very short distances every day. I started that earlier this year, but one day did not know if I was going to be able to get home and have not walked since them. This time, the plan is just to walk around the perimeter of the back yard until I build up a bit of endurance.

Of course, I need to lose weight, but refuse to set myself up for failure. If it happens, it happens.

• legomom23
    7 years ago

Mimou - I am a big Fuhrman fan:) I even saw him live once! I believe in his concepts but not sure I can do his strict 6 week program. I have tracked my eating for months and it's not really too bad. It's the sedentary lifestyle that does me in. Sit all day at work, sit all evening at home. Without extra effort I might only get in 2500 steps a day. I need to be more active for my physical - and mental - well being. I should make that the goal instead of the weight I know.

Yes - Big Sisters is a possibility. All volunteer type ideas are on the table right now. I do work mostly full time and have a son at home, so I don't have complete flexibility. I just need to do some research and then take some action instead of not making a decision and trying it out, which is what I've been doing for the last several years.

• LynnNM
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Sue, I enjoyed that a lot!

Yes, getting used to being an empty nester or easing towards it as your chicks move out, one by one, is certainly a time of transition. It helps to focus on the positives, one of which for us was seeing ourselves more as a couple again and spending more time as a couple doing things just the two of us again. It's nice to have the kids home again during school holidays, though, or on vacation.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

My daily schedule has been so messed up since husbands operation. He is well now but I have had a heck of a time getting back on track.

I'm not doing well at all with my home workouts so...first goal is to join a gym.

I'm also being horrible with time management in my art room and finishing my latest painting. Second goal is to be strict with myself on that as I'm not going to improve at this rate.

Third goal is to get some small paintings done to sell on one of my online bargain art auctions sites. I need to start somewhere and get my butt moving.

Next goal is to volunteer at the dog beach for cleanup because without volunteers we would not have a local dog beach.

LynnNM thanked just_terrilynn
  • l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

More on the alternatives to being a foster parent, dad just sent in his yearly donation to a local family support center. They offer all kinds of support services for children and families, trying to keep them in the home, like mentoring new parents and parenting classes. Another option for volunteering. Maybe you have something like that in your community. Also Head Start is a great program.

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

There are a few things I'd like to do this year but nothing specific I'd consider a goal at this point. I'd just like to be healthy, happy and kind to others and bring value to my work and my company. With that as my guiding principle I will go with the flow and spontaneously decide what to focus on as the year unfolds.

I was so moved by the homily at our church on Christmas Eve about four gifts to give to others that come into your life - acceptance, kindness, forgiveness and love. I would like to do my best in giving those gifts to others in 2017.

LynnNM thanked 3katz4me
  • cattyles
    7 years ago

I loved your post and the message from your church, 3katz. I'm going to print it and post it some places to remind me. Thank you.

LynnNM thanked cattyles
  • neetsiepie
    7 years ago

I like the idea of setting goals. My goals for the coming year include ensuring that I get my health screenings and tests done in a timely manner. I was born under a bad sign health-wise. So I plan to do whatever it takes to get my system running right so I feel better. I actually take very few medications-but those I take are necessary to keep me functioning (thyroid & antidepressant/anxiety).

Another goal is to make sure I can get to work on time every day-and even early., if that's possible. I have been waking early lately and have gone in to the office up to an hour and a half earlier than my normal time-and I kind of like it. I go in later and stay later, but I feel like that's causing me to become too stressed, so I might try to swing that pendulum the other way.

Last goal for the year is to see to it that we get a new furnace. and possibly AC. We use a pellet stove for heat now, it's ok, but I want consistent warmth throughout the house. We rarely need AC, but on the days we need it-we NEED it. We got the new roof a couple years ago-it's time for a furnace, gotta make mama happy!

LynnNM thanked neetsiepie
  • mitchdesj
    7 years ago

I like to look back at the year and see what I can improve/delete/change so I guess that is the same as setting goals except it seems less challenging to me. I figure I made it to the end of the year, I must be doing something right !!!

Fitness and well being are always on top of my list.

LynnNM thanked mitchdesj
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

....only here I edit my foul mouth! ;)

Happy New Year

LynnNM thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    7 years ago

On a serious note, we're going to buy new bedroom furniture, travel to Spain and fix our sagging foundation in the dining room.

LynnNM thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

My goal is to move in with LynnNM and let her DH and she whip me into shape! Sounds like just what the doctor would order ;) I'd like to get my blood sugar numbers under better control but not being able to move, much less exercise, there's no real way to lose weight. And not being a fan of vegetables, well keeping bs numbers at a healthy level is near impossible. Having a stomach bug for a solid week is helping tho! :o

LynnNM thanked monicakm_gw
  • hhireno
    7 years ago

1. Find my goal list from 2016

2. Review it and realize nothing has been checked off as completed

3. Scratch off 2016 and write in 2017

4. Return list to drawer and promtply forget about it

Staying the course, sticking to my strengths.

LynnNM thanked hhireno
  • blubird
    7 years ago

Seen seen on a local church bulletin board..."May all your troubles last as long as your New Year's resolutions." :-)

LynnNM thanked blubird
  • mojomom
    7 years ago

Cooking healthier and branching out to try more things. Blue Apron had helped me to branch out. More exersize, even if it's just taking the stairs more at work and vigorous dog walks, Enjoying my mother more. As she has needed more and more help, I have been more focused on caretaking instead of just sitting a while and visiting. Now that she is in senior living, I think it will be easier.

LynnNM thanked mojomom
  • runninginplace
    7 years ago

I have one inner (me) goal and one outer (us) goal:

-Health for myself, which includes getting some exercise and eating better. For several years I was doing Pilates regularly with with a personal instructor several times a week and it did wonders for my balance, posture, belly bulge and general mental outlook. I really loved it and kept up with it but a year ago the instructor closed her studio. I tried Pilates group classes at our university health center which just didn't work for me and now....I'm getting NO work outs at all. Not only is my belly bulge back and worse than ever but I turn 60 in 2017 and I can definitely feel my body aging fast. I'm not limber, I don't feel strong, and I've increasing been feeling aches and pains that are warning me if I don't start moving I'm going to have big problems with this body.

I also have gotten so far out of whack on healthy eating. For too long, now that it's just the two of us, I haven't been cooking daily balanced dinners. It's too easy to make something once in awhile then pick at leftovers, or grab a big heavy lunch then nibble at dinner while he picks at leftovers. And those lunches are problematic too, because instead of eating food I bring in myself, I've gotten in the habit of going to the campus food court with my office husband (AKA close friend/colleague) and eating junk. Terrible for the body and such as waste of money! So I want to exercise and cook more meals at home. That's for me.

-And out of the blue my husband suddenly came up with a wonderful BHAG (big hairy audacious goal :) for us. Not quite ready to talk about specifics but for quite awhile I've felt we were drifting in our mostly empty nest, doing our separate fun stuff on our own but not doing much other than our routines to tie us together. He's been pretty depressed this year about a work situation that isn't much fun and taking on most of the emotional primary care of a very difficult aging parent.

I've been in a funk at the office myself, not feeling gratified but not yet ready to retire. And a healthy marriage should be about way more than sitting around at night watching the news while we eat leftovers (see above) or running errands together on the weekend as our 'date'. So now we've got a project together that is very major, sort of scary and potentially life enhancing and joy giving for us both. I'm thrilled to see him excited and it's bringing us together to strategize and plan and dream about a common goal. So I'm going to follow this new star in our relationship and see where it leads. That's for us.

LynnNM thanked runninginplace
  • just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Okay, I can't do suspense Running. What is this new goal you and your husband are doing? It sounds mysteriously exciting. Just a clue will be good.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

Running, I could have written every word of your internal/personal goal. I am committed to cooking at least three times a week. I am lucky if I cook once a week these days. I do love to cook so it shouldn't be that hard.. I just don't enjoy cooking for one. I need to change my attitude about that-- because my belly bulge is now a full on tire and, like you, I just don't feel strong or limber anymore.

I am also going to focus on sleeping better. I am updating my bedroom to make it more comfy. I have needed to replace my pillows for ages-- and I just ordered new bedding. Along with pilates, I am going to resurrect a PM yoga program I used to do to relax before bed.

I have other goals for myself.. but I am choosing to focus on just those above for the next few months. I feel like everything else will be more achievable when I start doing better things for my mind, body and general health.

LynnNM thanked Funkyart
  • artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Goals (and yes, instead of resolutions):

Move into my new house.

Clean up, stage and sell my old house.

Get back more leg mobility than I have - via the Y or other means.

Develop more strength: the Y, yard work, hiking/walking - and yes, more veggies.

Get back into full fledged writing.

Take more road trips and enjoy life and those I know!

Re-enhance my spiritual side.

LynnNM thanked artemis_ma
  • runninginplace
    7 years ago

JT, here's my hint: movin' on.....;)

• hhireno
    7 years ago

...up, to the east side, to a de-luxe apartment in the sky?

eta: why oh why is my head full of such bizarre trivia? I probably couldn't give you a line of lyrics from a current song but the Jefferson's theme song is still filed away up there.

LynnNM thanked hhireno
  • bpath
    7 years ago

I completed one goal already: I read a book! Seriously, I did not complete a book all last year, but I had picked up a slim volume from the library that I knew would be a delight, and it was. I think I may read the other books in the series. And, btw, I have LISTENED to several books, but have not read with my eyes. Now that I have new glasses, as well as diagnosis, direction, and school support for my son, I just may be able to concentrate for more than two minutes.

Other goals include:

Taking charge of my health. See the doctor, continue walking with DH most days, walking with a friend other days (we have plans to add ice skating to our mix this year!), eat more vegetables. The "just one more" plan is easy: no matter how many servings of vegetables you have in a day, have just one more. Some days that will bring me to...one!

Becoming more involved in my parents' affairs. With them at 90 and 93, I need to be prepared.

Freshen my wardrobe. I rely way too much on jeans and knits.

LynnNM thanked bpath
  • just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

I think I know lol! You are going to sell your home and buy a luxury motorhome and travel the U.S. Hehe!

Joking aside, my sister just did this.

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

running - a good deal of what you said is similar to me other than the mystery bhag. I'm also turning 60 in 2017 and my good exercise and eating habits have suffered over the past 18-24 months with all the disruption of selling, buying and moving out and into two different homes. I also notice the effects of aging much more in the past year and I'm determined to get back on track this year with exercise and better eating at home and less eating out. I'm off to a reasonably good start on the exercise since I've had so much time off over the holidays. The real test will be when I get back on the normal work schedule. Today I'll start putting together a regular meal plan of easy, healthy things I can prepare after work. I love to cook but a lot of the things are too time consuming to make after I get home at night.

LynnNM thanked 3katz4me
  • runninginplace
    7 years ago

JT, not quite ready to sell the house and head out in Vegas on wheels LOL.

However, I have already put a batch of bbq chicken breasts in the slow cooker for dinner and am simmering a batch of clam chowder for lunches this week, even as we speak. Healthier eating and some get-up-and-go body movement shouldn't be a huge obstacle, or at least I hope I don't make them such!?!

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Good for you Running! I just started my first goal today, joined a gym and did an hour and a half workout. My arms now feel all shaky and wet noodle-y. I will try to go every other day. Hopefully I will be Fit for the hiking part of next summers trip in Wales and Ireland.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

Like the RV! DH pines for a vintage Airstream. Never mind neither one of us has camped since we were in boy/girl scouts at about age 12!

Along with 1pinkmountain, expanding my work with local foods and food policy is something I at least get to do as part of my job. I wish I had the ability to do it full time. We do plan to expand the garden a bit more this year.

Need to continue the weight loss progress. I had lost about 8 lbs. in the fall and want to continue the positive trend. Of course, DH has last double that and he doesn't go to Spin class or do weights. I've got a conference the end of February, and if I could lose 5-7 more, that would be good and a reasonable goal since I lose very slowly.

Along that line, we talked about converting the guest bedroom into a workout room. We have had guests exactly 3 times in 12 years. The room is more of a cat bed room and storage room, so cleaning it out is no small job.

LynnNM thanked gsciencechick
  • User
    7 years ago

Organize 10 years of digital pictures! Oh boy! Lol

• jojoco
    7 years ago

In 2014, I finished writing a sci Fi novel for young adults. I shopped it around a bit and got the expected rejection letters. ( although one publisher in Chicago requested the full manuscript and then held onto it for almost a year before finally rejecting it.) It has been professionally proofed and every kid that has read it has really liked it. This is the year I plan to self publish it. There. I said it. This is also the year I am getting married, so it might be tough. But I want to do it. I really want to.

Jo

• cattyles
    7 years ago

Jojoco, you have a really exciting year coming up! I hope you keep us posted as it goes on. I would really love to hear about you kicking 2017's butt. I wish you a joyous marriage and a successful book launch.

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Years ago, I heard Lisa Genova, author of Still Alice and other titles, speak at a conference. She self published Still Alice, driving it around in the trunk of her car, until it got some traction and picked up by a publisher. And look at her now. Good luck, jococo. You can do this!

• Boopadaboo
    7 years ago

I thought this was a good read...

An excerpt from Dr Wayne Dyer on new year resolutions:

"This day that you’re living right now is the only day you get. Period. You can resolve to be skinny when next July rolls around, or to quit smoking next month, or to write that book you’ve been meaning to, or to embark on your overdue exercise program by the end of this year. You can go about resolving until the cows come home, and you still have to live your life just like everyone else on the planet: One day at a time.

You can only live minute to minute. You can certainly use up your present moments thinking about what you’ll be doing in the future, but that doesn’t change the fact that you can only live in the now. The important question to be asking yourself is:

How am I going to live in the present moment this year?

Will I waste these moments reviewing the way I used to behave? Will I waste these moments reviewing how I would like to behave in the future rather than resolving to live each day to the fullest?

The new year is a good time to initiate a plan so you can make some changes and help live your life to the fullest. See if you can practice thinking differently. Decide very specifically what it is that you would like to change about yourself in 2017. If you have some goals in mind, vow to work on them day by day rather than making them a year-long project.

When you set up day-to-day goals for yourself, you can begin living this way for the rest of your life. Remember this little piece of advice, which will be extremely helpful to you if you can incorporate it into your life: When you go for one entire day without eating sugar (or not smoking, or being assertive, or any other new behavior), you are a totally different person at the end of that day. What you must learn to do is let that totally different person decide on the second day whether to do it again on this new day, rather than letting the same old person decide today that it is going to be difficult in a couple of days anyhow, so what’s the use. Always let the New You make the decision, and then you’ll be living your present moments.

Remember, you are in control of all thoughts in your head. When you are using up your present moments to worry about the future, constantly reviewing the past to come up with how you should have done it differently, or contemplating disaster, remind yourself that you are wasting this particular present moment.

Practice cancelling out negative thoughts for a few minutes at a time. Vow to enjoy the next five minutes regardless of what has previously transpired or what you think is about to happen. Remind yourself of the folly of wasting your present moments on mental activity that focuses exclusively on your past or imagined future. All of your thoughts about what you should have done, or how terrible things were in the past will not change one tiny slice of the past.

As you celebrate this new year and each precious present moment, here are 10 reminders to help you live in the Now:
    1. Remember that habits are changed by practicing new behavior. By practicing new thinking every five minutes, you’ll soon begin to master the art of present-moment living.
    2. Do an honest assessment of your “problems.” You’ll very likely discover that almost all of your problems are really in your head and not located in reality.
    3. Take time to be mindful of everything around you. Begin to look at your entire surroundings in a new light. Observe every detail on every face, every building and every object. If you do this often enough it will become a habit that will facilitate your being alive in every moment of the year.
    4. Change your attitude. Begin an attitude-redevelopment plan. That means practice enjoying everything you do.
    5. Be specific about what you want and take action. Decide on one thing that you would like to work on and do it today. Work at it daily, rather than making it a long-range objective.
    6. Create a self-improvement agenda for yourself. Put on your agenda whatever activities you’ve always thought about but never had time to do. Do them now.
    7. Rid yourself of mundane chores that are not really that important. Spend more time making your life a pleasure.
    8. Eliminate procrastination as a lifestyle. Instead of talking to yourself about what you are going to do next week or even tomorrow, use this time to start a new task.
    9. Don’t give up control of your life to others. You cannot enjoy the present moment if you are busy trying to make everyone else like you. People respect you more when you operate from a position of strength and self-reliance.
    10. Feel good about yourself. You are a magnificent human being. Always feel good about that self that you are always with."

From Chapter 3, The Power of Intention

— Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

Hh -- fun fact -- I belonged to a local moms group that Lisa G also belonged to many years ago. I remember hearing her say she was writing a book and I thought to myself, yeah yeah, aren't we all... And indeed, look at her now! (I should have gotten closer to her -- maybe I would have met Julianne Moore by now. Sigh.)

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Too bad, sueb, maybe you could have had a walk on part once you became bffs with Lisa and Julianne.

Be nice to jococo, maybe that will go somewhere...

• l pinkmountain
    7 years ago

Lucky, I have the same problem with my family pictures. I didn't put it on my New Year's goal list because it was just too daunting and wouldn't bring me any joy. BUT, having said that, a realistic goal might be, "I am going to work on photos for 15 min. at least once a week." That might do the trick. But it still wouldn't necessarily bring me joy, YMMV. I have a whole house full of things to do this year revolving around paring down and consolidating my things and my late mother's things, in preparation for a major life shift. But since those things are so daunting, I left them off any fun lists. But as Wayne Dyer says, the best way to create the life you want is to do it in tiny increments. I once redid my entire backyard, by just setting a timer and working on it for 5 min. every day before I went to work. It was a total mess and I redid all the beds and re-landscaped the whole thing in about three months.

• terezosa / terriks
    7 years ago

I'm going to try to make my bed every day. :-)

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

Maybe a decade ago, my DH volunteered to organize all of our printed photos. Remember that mess? Is that better or worse, IDK. Probably far, far less of them.

Anywho, he organized them by .... subject. Not chronologically. That made absolutely no sense to me, and they have never been touched since.

As for the digital stuff, I cannot even remember anymore the story of which machine when and where has what.

• Embothrium
    7 years ago

Get everything done I haven't been able to get done for years.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

At my age, just surviving another year may turn out to be an accomplishment! I am going to try to do some throwing out - things that will be a burden to my children (or that I don't want them to see!). I may have my yard man come this winter (he usually is off Jan-Mar) and then if I'm paying him, I'll have to have him do something and we'll tackle the basement and the garage. I've done this before, but it's time to do it again. I can sit and point and he can load the car with stuff for Goodwill and if it's trash, we'll put it out at the curb. A few things can go to re-sale shop.

And I promise to not buy anyone dishes...

• User
    7 years ago

The Dyer piece above reminds me of this Socrates quote that periodically comes up in my Instagram feed:

“The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not fighting the old, but on building the new.”