SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Latest on my (not!) cardiac episode

Sueb20
10 years ago

So, for those following along at home, I saw the cardiologist finally the other day. This was after having a couple of episodes 2+ weeks ago where I felt tight in the chest, palms were sweating, felt like I was going to pass out. Went to ER after second episode in one morning, had EKG, chest X-rays, blood tests, etc. No diagnosis. No issues while in the ER for 5 hours. Saw my PCP two days later, she did more blood tests and the only big news was low B12 so now taking supplements. Over the next two weeks I had some vague weird feelings but nothing like the episodes before. At one point this past week I felt very weak in a store and had to just leave. That was odd. Saw the cardio, had a stress test, all checked out fine. She did put me on blood pressure meds since it's been on the high side over a period of time (high 130s/90), just a diuretic, which I haven't taken yet because I just picked it up yesterday.

Yesterday I felt just sort of woozy after going out to breakfast with friends. In the afternoon, even though I felt a little "off," I headed down to our beach house with my DD. DH and DS are joining us today. I felt terrible the whole ride down. Sweaty palms, a weird rush of warmth thru the center of my body (hard to describe but bizarre), almost like what I imagine a panic attack feels like. It went on for over an hour and I pulled off the road twice just to get out and breathe. I kept telling myself if this is anxiety, I'll get to the house and will feel fine, so just get there and all will be fine! Got to the house and my heart was pounding and my hands were shaking. And I'm here alone with 12 yo DD. So I got back in the car and drove to the local medical center.

To make a long story somewhat shorter, the DNP listened to my whole story, then asked me what I'd eaten that day. And what I'd eaten the day when I had my other episode. She looked at me and said, "I think you have a glucose intolerance." So, again trying to make this short, she is convinced this is a metabolic problem, maybe hypoglycemia, maybe thyroid. They did a glucose finger stick and it was "a little high." This morning I went for fasting bloodwork to test the above plus some regular CBC stuff, liver, kidney, etc.

So, that's where I'm at now. I'm supposed to get the results this afternoon. The NP said she may not (of course) get to the bottom of this while I'm here (just for the long weekend) but she hopes it's a start, and she said I need to see an endocrinologist when I get home.

Comments (69)