SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momtokai

Why to so many people let pets ruin their financial picture?

momtokai
17 years ago

I am just curious. So many people find themselves in a financial predicament trying to save pets spending thousands of dollars that they do not have. I understand the emotion; however, they are animals not people. I see this where I work with the people who can least afford to spend that kind of money. I read about it here!

Do most people have an upper limit on their budget for how much they are willing to spend when/if their animal gets sick? By the way, they will all get sick or old eventually and will die.

We have given ourselves an upper limit and we have said no when that limit had been reached. Our dog was sick when we were in Europe with the kids. The vet wanted to operate for $3k to $4k. At first we said yes out of guilt of being gone. Then we got some more sense into us, and we called back and said no.

Yes, we have lost animals. Yes, this is a part of owning pets. They will likely die before you do.

Comments (71)

• dgmarie
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I had a neighbor once who took in a stray cat, bought a cat bed from me, food, books on cat care etc. She put the cat down two months later because it needed $8 worth of meds a months. That's right EIGHT DOLLARS. She said she "didn't want the extra expense." This is not a poor woman by any means. To each his own, but we thought this was cruel. She spent more on the bed than she spent on this cat.

• western_pa_luann
    17 years ago

It seems like everyone wants to stray from the original question:
    "Why to(sic) so many people let pets ruin their financial picture?"

• Related Discussions

pet peeve - people's disrespectful behaviours

Q

Comments (15)
    Look I grew up with dogs, in fact, my family owned as many as 11 dogs at one point in our lives. We never ever allowed our dogs to pee in any other people's yard. In fact, we allowed the dogs to do their business in our yard. Better our yard than our neighbors'. BTW woodyoak, no I don't hate you but I respectfully disagree with you. I also appreciate your situation. However, Thisn't good enough an excuse to allow a dog to destroy another one's yard. DOG pee is potent and burns. And yes, dogs will actually pee in one's own yard if it doesn't have a choice or if it's trained to do so. Dogs pee (any pee) is potent and we know the remedy is for one to wash down that pee with lots and lots of water before it begins to burn the grass or the shrub. However I don't really see a lot of people carrying buckets of water to do that job... (sorry being funny here) Being that I'm a former dog owner, I understand the nature of dogs and the need to scent mark... but the idea of someone allowing their dog to go up to people's yards and pee there is absolutely, absolutely rude. It's no more as rude as someone coming to my yard to snip off a flower. There is a sidewalk strip in my neighborhood but no... the dog had to go up a few steps into my neighbor's yard to pee. Or to go up my yard to pee on my carefully trimmed topiary. My yard is meant for kids to touch and to feel. My neighbor spent over $300 to have new sod last year -- only to be damaged by this. My yew cost me $30 andhad many years of pruning behind it. The point is, dogs can be trained -- I know. I was a dog owner. I've used many technics in training but I'll give you 2 implements - a gentle tug on a leash when its misbehaving and a spray bottle filled with water. Sprays are gentle but stops a dog from certain behaviours fast. I've also used it to control too much barking (we had chihuahuas, dalmations, dashunds, pekenese, terriers)
    ...See More

Vero Swap a feast of food,, plants, people and pets

Q

Comments (31)
    Tanya, if the email remark was intended or me then no I did not receive one. I wish to apologize for anything I have posted here to offend anyone. I had an extremely long day with lots of pain and I was tired both emotionally and physically. but that is no excuse for being negarice or hurtful to people. I do not wish to create problems so I am going to leave the forum and stay out of things. It was nice meeting you and everyone else and please give Junior a bite of chicken for me along witha scratch and tell Jinxie I said hello. You truly have a wonderful home on golden pond and I hope you enjoy it for years to come. Linda
    ...See More

some people should be their own pets!

Q

Comments (13)
    There's obvious abuse, and then there's just boorish behaviour. A few years ago we had the summer of "Shut up Shane". I live on the intersection of an inner city alley, and all the backyards open out onto the alley. Across the alley from me lived three early-20-something women, who semmed to spend most of the summer sunning in the backyard. They would bring out the chairs, bring out the towels, bring out the boombox, bring out the drinks -- bring out the dog. Shane was a nice enough dog, witha nbright look in his eye, but they'd tie him to his stake out chain and ignore him. He would begin to bark, and one of them would shout: "Shut up, shane!" He'd keep barking, or start barking again, and two of them would shout: "Shut up, Shane!" Eventually, they would all three shout in unison: "Shut up, Shane!". The rest of the neighbors began to refer to them as the "Shut Up Shane Girls". Several neighbors spoke to them, but they never changed thir actions, and evntually moved. For all I know Shane was loved and spoiled -- indoors. And I never saw anyone strike or otherwise abuse him. But I often wondered what kind of effect that had on the dog, and wondered how they would like to be addressed in that tone -- and only that tone -- all day long. That was the image that popped into my head when I read the title of this thread! Hitting begets hitting. Dogs don't learn anything good from a beating, vaccumfreak; and neither do humans.
    ...See More

To much to spend on animal

Q

Comments (30)
    I used to get upset at how much money people spent on animals. But, it is their money and none of my business. We owned horses for 20 years---if you think dogs/cats can be expensive-----Oh My!!!!!! Horses are bigger and much less hardy----there are many simple things that can result in the death of a horse---a stomach ache is often a death knell, for instance. Feeding a pregnant mare the wrong kind of hay can abort a foal. And the list goes on. We had a mare whom I discovered one fine june day with a wound on her leg so large, I thought someone had used a chain saw on her leg. The mare was down---not a good thing for a horse that is hurt---that is a precursor for the animal giving up life. I got her up on her feet, called the vet(this was before cell phones---and in the pasture---so had to run back to the barn, get the truck, drive to the closest occupied house and get permission to make a long distance call.) The vet came out and told us(wife had arrived) if we wanted to spend the money, the horse could be saved. Now, the vet knew us---and knew our financial situation---we regularly treated whatever was wrong ourselves to save money. Well, $1200 and three months later---three months of giving the mare antibiotic shots twice a day and rebandaging the leg once a day, the vet was right. That mare actually healed so well the scar was difficult to see. We had the time---and could afford the money---plus a friend boarded the mare for free---spaced over that time. We did without some things, like fun and new clothes---but the whole family wanted to do it---and the most important thing was we had the expertise. I had a friend who had a really expensive horse---a horse his daughter had ridden to a AQHA Western Riding World Championship---they were the best in the world that year. The horse was boarded at a very good trainers facility---his wife was the vet I mentioned above. That horse still got a case of colic---got so sick my friend had the horse med-evaced by helicopter to the facility at Kansas State University Veterinary School---and the horse still died. So, we love our animals. I still cringe when I read about a person spending thousands of dollars on an animal, but I try not to be too judgemental.
    ...See More
  • oddity
    17 years ago

Funny that I came across this thread today because I am taking our cat to a university hospital for a neuro consult and a treatment for hyperthyroidism. The cost is probably going to be around $1000. We don't have children and we can afford that treatment and more if necessary.

Although somewhere in my head I have a dollar amount that I will not go over, my concern isn't really the money, my concern is his quality of life and what I would be putting him through. If the neuro exam comes out fine and the chances of recovery are good then he will have the treatment for the hyperthyroidism. If his chances of recovery are not good then I will do what I can to make him comfortable until the time comes for him to be put to sleep.

I am a dog groomer so I am surrounded by animal lovers and every single one of us has had pet emergencies. One person spent over $8000 to save her dog who had accidentally gotten into Ibuprofen. That was several years ago and he is doing fine. Another spent thousands for her Irish Setter to have cancer treatments and although the dog ended up passing away, this woman wouldn't have changed a thing. Another has her Doberman on medication that cost over $100 a month but her and her husband make it work. To each their own.

Some people I know spend lots of money on manicures, massages, hair coloring, makeup, cars, clothes, video games, magazines, bar hopping, etc. But again, to each their own.

• oddity
    17 years ago

It seems like everyone wants to stray from the original question:
    "Why to(sic) so many people let pets ruin their financial picture?"

Because they love them.

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

The answer is - they don't! People do.

• clg7067
    17 years ago

A friend of mine has an email signature that says it all. It's a quote from an author who writes "dog mysteries".

"Whenever I feel poor, I remember that I'd rather have my dogs than other people's money." S. Conant

• behaviorkelton
    17 years ago

When I was young, broke, and in college... I naively bought a poorly bred dobermann.

This dog very quicly revealed expensive medical issues that required monthly care. The dog was also aggressive (fear aggression).

I decided to have the dog "put down" and immediately went looking for a dog in a dog pound to "save" from being put down. I ended up with a greyhound who was easy going, happy, and healthy throughout her life.

So this was my unusual solution to save myself from financial trouble while trying to morally make-up for the stupid situation which I brought upon myself.

If you are broke and must have a dog... and I understand... I would say that you should be prepared to make the hard decision if you find yourself with a chronically ill animal.

• kellyeng
    17 years ago

Killing a pet for behavioral problems is morally repugnant.

• behaviorkelton
    17 years ago

I know that my decision was not traditional and draws ethical questions, but so does keeping a sick and dangerous animal alive while healthy, and unwanted animals are killed daily in dog pounds.

I do stand by my decision. I was able to put my dog down in a safe calm enviroment (scratching him just as he liked as the doctor injected the material)... the dog seemed to experience no stress. On the other hand, dog pound euthenasia is surely a frightening and lonely experience.

In many ways, it is easier just to keep your pet alive and avoid the tough decisions. I suspect this accounts for a lot of suffering in our pets. This can amount to animal torture just so we can feel better (and moral) ourselves. Some might even feel that this is the moral way... to just keep them going through medicine. Not me.

One way or the other, a dog is going to die. Just because I happened to acquire one of them while the dog pound dog sits alone in a cage doesn't mean that there is some universal principle that says that the dog in MY house is more deserving of life than that lonely dog. This is a matter for thoughtful consideration and the answer isn't always simplistic.

The greyhound, by the way, needed no special medical care at all through her 12 yrs with me. Only routine vet visits and that final trip to euthanize her when she could no longer walk at the age of 14. The expected physical robustness of the greyhound was one reason I selected this dog. She was a fantastic companion, and I miss her and our frisbee games.

• devorah
    17 years ago

behaviorkelton - I support your decision. It makes absolute sense to me.

• morgan88
    17 years ago

i was just talking w/ my husband about the same thing just other day. i know someone who spent $1500 on a dog that will need health insurance and constant care and a c section should they choose to breed her. what!?! i would never ever never ever spend anything close to that for a pet. ever never ever. not even if i had money coming out of my ears. but to each their own i guess. they really like her and though i cannot even begin to comprehend pet love i think (know) i am in the minority.

like a previous poster, i too come from a farm. outside animals are cool. i liked working w/ them, hanging out w/ them, showing them, etc. i never really got "attached" to any, especially pets. animals die. life goes on. so of course i married a boy from the suburbs who can't possibly live without some pet, a cat right now. blech! i bristle at the thought of spending $5 on this thing (i'm cheap and scottish) but he loves it and so long as it doesn't pee on anything it will stay. i will get a dog (a reasonably priced dog w/ an air tight DNR) later on for my son if he wants one. teach him responsibilty and whatnot. but deep down i am one of those people who just do not get pets.

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

Well, most of you probably think I'm crazy, then. I've spent $4000 on my cat in the last two months (her liver is failing). My husband and I have no children. And while we're not exactly swimming in money right now (due to having done a bunch of renovations to the house in the spring), doing what we can for our kitty is more important to us then holding onto that money. If the vet told us that her prognosis was poor, and that the rest of her life would be spent in pain and misery, then we would have euthanized her. But her prognosis is strong, and in the past 6 weeks she's bounced back from near death to something near her normal self. It's not something several of you would have done, obviously, but it was the right choice for us.

• behaviorkelton
    17 years ago

Don't get me wrong. With a good relationship, money issues go out the window (that goes for pets and human relationships).

Due to my incompetence in dealing with a tough dog, my financial situation (zero money), and the prospect of having to keep visitors safe from my own dog... I just thought long and hard and decided to save another dog.

Now, the dog I did get was fantastic and we were madly in love (in a human-pet kind of way) throughout her life. I would have been more than happy to spend money on her medically. Of course, I graduated college and could afford it anyway.

I'm don't have that farm-life attitude about animals where animals are easily dispatched and are more or less "objects". Not at all. In fact, I probably apply the same moral standard to myself as I do to animals in many cases.

So if I go permanently crazy and violent and sickly... don't spend too much money keeping me safe and alive. Put me to sleep gently and spend your money on someone more deserving. Really. I mean it. This was basically the same standard I applied to my dog.

As to spending money foolishly on pets... well, do what you want. It's no different than spending money on a fancy camera that you really don't need. You could always argue that the money should be spent on a cheaper camera and the rest given to the needy. That's always the case.

• costumecarol
    17 years ago

I doubt a fearful dog is a happy dog.

A former colleague of mine has given her dog Prozac (or is it Zanax)every day since he was a few months old. He's a fear biter, and can't be trusted except with her and her spouse. She was livid the day she stopped at the vet's to pick him up and he was in the reception area without his "gentle leader:" he's quite likely to bite at the least provocation.

Now, she and her DH can handle the situation. They have no children and some understanding friends. They own a large chunk of land, Dog cannot trot 200 feet to the next neighbor's house. But a dog with that kind of problem needs attention that quite frankly, many people haven't the time, initiative, money, or lifestyle to deal with. She works part-time, and has consulted behavior therapists for her dog, in addition to the meds.

Another colleague had a dangerous dog that did in fact, severely injure a neighbor child. The child was in the hospital for three weeks patching up his face, and his life wasn't ever in danger. When a dog is a danger to others, I'd lean strongly toward euthanization. You could re-home a dog like that...but what kind of person is going to take him, if you're honest about his problem? A shelter won't knowingly (probably can't in good conscience) adopt out a dangerous animal.

• quasifish
    17 years ago

Oh man, does this strike close to home right now. I have a 12 y.o. cat with numerous health problems that were only recently diagnosed. I've had her since she was 6 weeks old and feel that she is part of the family and that I do owe her care and a chance to a reasonable extent.

I cannot 'go broke' for her, but have come to the conclusion that if treatment is reasonable, the outcome is mostly garanteed, and the 'cure' is not worse than the condition, then we will go ahead and do it, even if it means taking on a little credit card debt in the process- and I'm so anti-credit card that this makes me feel ill. Right now her treatments are non-invasive and work wonders, they are also relatively inexpensive. The most expensive part of her treatments are routine blood tests at the vet's office. Fortunately our vet understands that most people can't put money before a pet.

I had a cat who died of cancer about a decade ago. It was terrible making those decisions. After having surgery to remove a tumor, she never enjoyed a quality of life again. I always wish I had just let her go peacefully despite the fact that she wasn't that old for a cat. I've met so many people in the same situation who wish they had done less and let their animal have quality over quantity. It's selfish to do anything else. In that situation again, it would definitely be less expensive to let the pet go, but I think it's also more humane too.

Why do people go broke for their pets? Because they feel guilty and obligated and lots of vets instill this feeling in their clients (they have to pay for their fancy equipment somehow). Two or three years ago my mom had a cat dying of kidney failure, the only option her local vet would offer was dialysis a couple times a week, but they wouldn't disclose the cost for some reason. Mom didn't think it was fair to put a cat through dialysis, and also found out later that it was tens-of-thousands-of-dollars a year. Oddly enough, my cat *was* also dying of kidney failure just a few months ago (she has other health problems as well) but the vet gave us the option of injecting fluid under her skin a couple of times a week to help flush her body of toxins- we do it ourselves at home. The fluid costs us about $5/month, plus I make her special food that costs about $15-$20/month- and she has recovered, gained weight, and is doing beautifully. This treatment is nothing new, but my vet isn't making any money from the proposition except when we take her for tests. I feel a lot of vets are more interested in making money than helping animals, and they use peoples' feelings for their beloved pets to that end.

Q

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

There is something so pathetic about this whole subject. I know more people who have let out-of-control spending on 'things' destroy their lives, then any animal could. Cars, boats, vacations, expensive clothes, homes, gambling, etc.
    I would rather have a loving, faithful friend cause financial problems, then 'things.' All those vacations to Vegas, Atlantic City and Foxwoods can do you in in a very short time.
    Expensive clothes, cars etc., get old in less time then most pets.
    I've never seen a car excited to see you when you come home.
    Get Real!

Jane

• dobesrule
    17 years ago

I have a dog that has been a constant source of out-going cash flow for almost ten years. Frequent UTI's, expensive meds for her arthritis, not to mention the expenses we had when showing her in obedience in her younger days and just the every day expenses that come with a pet. I don't even want to know what this dog has cost me over the years. But the money that I spent that put me into debt wasn't spent on this dog. It was spent when I had a bad case of "stuffitis".
    I don't know if I would have a spending limit for her care or not. A lot would depend on the outcome of her treatment. If it would fix her where she would have a close to normal or normal quality of life then I'd go for it. If it would only prolong her pain and suffering then I'd hold her close and tell her see ya later.

why..... Because I love her

Lisa

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

I didn't realize so many people let pets ruin their financial picture. I have to say I've never known anyone who has done this. I'm more familiar with people who seem to think animals are disposable items and don't seem to feel any great sense of responsibility in having a pet - allowing them to run around unattended - catching diseases, getting hit by cars, reproducing and creating more strays, etc. I would imagine that in some cases the people who do let pets ruin their financial picture do so for the same reasons they ruin their finances in other ways - irresponsible with money, take on more "responsibilities" than they can afford to adequately care for, etc. Or maybe they just love their pets so much they can't bear to let them go without doing everything possible to save them.

I've had five cats in my adult life - two have died and three are currently living a nice life with us. One was a stray I rescued that was nearly dead - my nice vet said he'd do surgery and try to fix him up for $50 if I wanted to try to find him a home. He found a home with me...... Only one other cat has needed anything "major" - eye surgery. When all was said and done that was probably $2000 and while I thought twice about it, it didn't cause financial ruin.

I'm not sure how far I'd go in terms of $$$. I don't think that will become an issue because I'm not into putting an animal through alot of medical treatment that I think must be torture for them. Unless it's something with a relatively quick recovery and good prognosis I'd be more likely to let them just go peacefully and naturally. Hopefully that philosophy will save me from financial ruin.

• petra_gw
    17 years ago

I think it's a shame that many people won't think twice about buying an expensive "toy", or spending a fortune on booze or cigarettes or other worthless things, but God forbid they should "waste" any money on a mere animal!! However, it is their money, and they can spend it as they please. I also think the same courtesy should be extended to people who choose to spend money on their pets. It is no one elses' business, and if they do get into financial trouble over it, I am sure they will dig themselves out, just like those who get into financial trouble buying material things they can't afford.

Morgan88, even if I live to 100, I will never understand people like you. And for that I am very grateful.

• sue36
    17 years ago

"Our dog was sick when we were in Europe with the kids. The vet wanted to operate for $3k to $4k. At first we said yes out of guilt of being gone. Then we got some more sense into us, and we called back and said no."

I hope you enjoyed Europe.

• sue36
    17 years ago

In another post the OP said her mortgage on her PRIMARY residence (which implies there is a secondary residence) is $3000.00 per month. She also has a home equity loan for $850 and pays an extra $1000 to $2000 each month towards the home equity loan. Her house is valued at $800k to $900k and they are a two income family.

It would appear that the OP is one of those pet owners I can't stand- someone who would let their pet die or put it to sleep because they just don't want to spend the money. It is just an animal after all.

• organic_donna
    17 years ago

Why don't you people purchase pet insurance??? If you own a pet take care of it or don't have one. Just because they are animals does not make them any less valuable than a human being. I would never allow my pets to go without medical care.
    Donna

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

Thank you Sue26 for your posts. I agree completely.
    When a vacation, private schools and second house take priority over even having basic pet insurance ....ahhhh! I can't write anymore.

• sue36
    17 years ago

Bumblebeez,
    DO you have a pet insurance company you recommend? I have always paid out of pocket for pet care. When I looked into insurance companies, based on their limitations, it looked like it wouldn't really save anything. Maybe it was just the wrong company.

• morgan88
    17 years ago

hey petra, i said that "I" was the freak for not liking pets. i already said "I" was the strange one, in the minority. I acknowledge the fact that people like their pets and are willing to spend tons of money on them. i am different. what is there to understand? where is the mystery? you mean that people are all different? some people like pets and others don't? i don't like pets because i'd rather spend my money on booze and marlboros and fancy sports utility vehicles and tacky furniture. is that what you want to hear? good golly, get off your over priced financially crippling high horse.

• petra_gw
    17 years ago

Hey morgan88, you posted your opinion and I posted mine. And I think I was pretty clear in my original post, I don't understand people who think like you (i.e. resent spending even $5 on that "thing", etc.), and I never will, and for that I am very, very, very grateful, what's so hard to grasp about that??

• morgan88
    17 years ago

well, i understand people who think like you. all too bloody well.

• petra_gw
    17 years ago

Whatever...

• supercat_gardener
    17 years ago

Only a non-pet lover would post a question like this. IMO, it's inane. The amount I would spend would be dependant on the diagnosis, liklihood of a good recovery, life expectancy, and quality of life issues.
    Sometimes I wonder if questions like this are posted out of a desire to provoke controversy and arguments for entertainment rather than true curiosity.

• joepyeweed
    17 years ago

The premise of the question assumes that many people let pets ruin their financial picture. I highly doubt that premise to begin with.

I believe that most pet owners weigh the cost of treatment against the prognosis, quality of life and life expectancy - thus making a sound financial decision.

So what percentage of pet owners are led to financial ruin by poor pet health care choices? Anyone have any data on that?

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

"Sometimes I wonder if questions like this are posted out of a desire to provoke controversy and arguments for entertainment rather than true curiosity."

Yup, there's even an internet term for it - "trolling". And those who post such threads are called trolls.

This subject has come up before.
    Other troll favorites include variations on:
    "Should we ban pit bulls?"
    "McMansions, SUVs and the people who have them are bad"
    "How do people afford XYZ?"

And the perennial weird favorite:

"Do you take off your shoes in the house?"

• devorah
    17 years ago

LOL Gina. I was just about to post the same thing about the "shoes on or off" debate. Who would ever believe that is the hottest button issue we have going?

I tried the grandparenting forum just once and the level of rancor was so high it nearly burned through my screen saver. I don't go there anymore.

• Nancy in Mich
    17 years ago

Yeah, what about that old Ann Landers favorite? "Does the toilet paper roll belong with the paper coming from the back over the roll to the front, or hanging down in the back, along the wall?"

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

Nancy, I have a definite preference - but I won't say which!

Rancor? Devorah, there are some threads in seemingly innocuous forums like Kitchens where the fur flies. People can get purty purturbed about the oddest subjects. Even in my hangout - Cooking, people have gotten bent out of shape over the "correct" way to make cornbread. Remember that Nancy? Some folks just like to stir the crud.

• valtog
    17 years ago

Two more hot beds...
    Landscaping Design and the Laundry Room. Yup, some folks get heated over laundry!

• eandhl
    17 years ago

morgan88, you stated your feeling of a dislike of pets and a resentment of spending any money on them. There is nothing wrong with feeling that way. Though I do hope you will rethink your thoughts on getting your son a dog if he wants one. Dogs sense our feeling. No matter how carefully you try to find the healthiest pet things happen, they do need medical care. Annuals shots, neutering etc. They can get diseases, virusus, injuries and it would very sad for you son as well as the dog to not treat it.

• morgan88
    17 years ago

no no no, i already said i will get my son a dog. i think people are just perseverating on the fact that i bristle at the thought of spending $5 on a cat. i admit i really do, but i can inwardly bristle all i like just so it does not hurt those i love. my husband loves his cat. i hate it, but it is well behaved and yes it gets fed and treated well and given shots and taken to the vet.

i grew up on a farm. i had lots and lots and lots of animal responsibilities. i grew up went to college and realized i didn't want to spend any amount of my time or money on animals. i had paid my dues. now that i am married and have a son i cannot expect my family to feel as i do. most people don't. it would be unfair if my son went through life without a dog. i had a dog. everyone has a dog. i just said i, like most people, i would probably not have a dog airlifted to the mayo clinic for extensive testing. i would make sure it lived a happy and healthy life. i am respectful to the needs of animals. i just don't get anything out of them. Know what i mean? a wagging tail, a purring cat. i just don't get it. i may be a freak, but i am not an ogre!!

• missourilark
    17 years ago

I actually know a woman who purchased the house next door to her,to keep her infirm felines away from her general population of healthy felines.Hey,it's her $$$...and I'm not her neighbor,lol.

• cally05
    17 years ago

If you can afford a trip to Europe then you can afford the vet bills. Humans tend to be selfish. Did you really need the trip to europe worst than the animal needed surgery? I have spent thousands on a cat that had hyperthyroidism and will do it again if need be.I do not live in a fine expensive home, drive a fancy car or take expensive trips.I am able to afford the care needed for all 3 of my cats.You have no business with a pet if you are unwilling to provide the medical care needed.

• gina_in_fl
    17 years ago

Morgan88... I wouldn't criticize you for not having a pet, but I would question your reasons for getting your son a dog.. YOU are gonna be the one responsible for it. Not all of us grew up with pets. I had a bird that died a horrible death. I was only in 3rd grade and held it all the night before.. leg kept twitching up to body and drew blood. I held it's leg away from the body. I was made to go to school the next day, but the nuns called my mom to come get me.

The only other "pet" I was allowed was a stray cat that I named Tiger for it's orange striped tail. I could feed it IF there were leftovers, but pet it freely in the backyard.

My father had grown up with dogs, my mother with none. Daddy and I always wanted same. Nixed by Mom. I grew up and moved away, got a dog and have had at least one ever since (30 + years). Daddy got one when a family member was going to destroy it because the 'kids' didn't take care of it. Mom loved that dog for 12 years.

It doesn't hurt a kid to grow up without a pet.

• bird_lover_2006
    17 years ago

Ok here is a question for everyone. We live out in the country and seem to feed every stary cat that comes along. We took one in and got her fixed a couple of years ago. We just took her in for her shot last week. The Vet said she needs dental work and it will cost $500!!!!
    This is not really a pet, lives outside ect. We got her fixed because we did not want kittens. The male cat we have never been able to catch. All the other cats seem to come and go.
    So, the question, how much money is too much to spend on a stray cat? I can find low cost shot and low cost birth control, but no low cost cat dentists. We can't figure out waht to do.

• bill_h
    17 years ago

the dogs i have had were strays, pound dogs, they most likely would have been put down, had i not adopted them, the last one lived 11 yrs with me b-4 getting to the point that it would have cost 1000.00 to take care of its medical problems, i had it put down, do i feel bad at the loss yes, but it lived in comfort and was loved for 11 yrs longer than it would have been, had i not adopted it. you do what you can with what you have. so my upper limit? normal care and medicine thats required. if i`am spending 500.00 on dental work its going to be for me, not a cat or a dog.

• saggysmom
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    I am not going to judge, complain or try to influence anyone. I left my soapbox at home. Here is just the way I see it.
    I try to help those who need help. Children and Animals are vulnerable creatures who need to be protected and cared for because they lack the ability to do so for themselves. I raise money and donate to a specific local charity that provides help to children with cancer as well as a variety of others, I raise money and donate to charities that help abused, sick and abandoned animals. But I also own a dog (I'd own tons more but I live in a condo). Now even with all of the charity that I feel is necessary in this world, I would stop that (temporarily) if I needed to to try and save my boy. Because I love him? Yes. Because he is a loyal and wonderful companion? Yes. Because he has always been there for me - unconditionally - in my hardest and happiest times? Yes. But mostly because when I adopted this beautiful boy (MY CHOICE!) I made a promise to him that I would protect him, love him and provide to him the care he needs. If I couldn't make that promise I would not have adopted him in the first place. To me a pet is a living thing that his/her owner agreed to care for; not a disposable posession. To me a pet is not a toaster. If it fails it can't just be tossed and replaced in a short trip to Target. There is so much of my heart and soul in this wonderful boy (and his in me) that I would empty my bank account - and then some - to save him. Why? Because I promised!

• blake2502
    17 years ago

To Western PA Luann: people are not "more important" than animals. We are all God's creatures, and all are "important."

• western_pa_luann
    17 years ago

I think people are more important, even to God. (But let's not go religious here.... I'll agree to disagree.)

• Meghane
    17 years ago

I do know many people who delay treatment wanting to see what happens only to be forced into paying for the treatment eventually when the animal is less likely to survive. Like waiting for an animal to bleed out after eating rodenticides costing about $1000 for transfusions and hospitalization rather than coming in immediately for us to make it vomit and start vitamin K1 at $150. Or saving money on heartworm prevention $80/year for a large dog only to have it get heartworms and cost $600. People do make stupid decisions that kick them in the butt later. Pets are not the only thing they do this with though. Let a headgasket leak ($600) go in your car and you could be looking at a cracked block and new engine ($2000).

• Nancy in Mich
    17 years ago

Excellent points, Meghane.

Did we ever get the OP to tell us just who is letting their pets ruin their financial futures? It is not a widespread problem, I think.

• clg7067
    17 years ago

"To me a pet is not a toaster."

Some people say dogs don't have souls. Well, the saying goes, "If dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where they go."

My dog just broke a canine. It's going to cost me about $900 for a root canal and go on the credit card for a couple of months. I sure didn't budget for it, but it's not going to "ruin" me.

• helenlee
    17 years ago

It looks like I'm going to be the first one to own up to letting my pets ruin my financial future. I don't know why other people do it, but I do it because I love & adore my pets & I don't love money.
    I also choose to have monthly donations to "doctors without borders" & "greenpeace" deducted from my bank account, because I also love other people of all nationalities, & the planet, & I don't love money.
    I have a very reasonable annual income, but I drive a second hand car, wear mostly second hand or chain store clothing, & have mostly second hand furniture. I don't have organized holidays away from home, don't drink, gamble, smoke or go out to entertainment activites. Why? Because I love the things I can do with my money if I don't waste it on meaningless crap.
    My three teenagers DO love meaningless crap in the forms of surf label clothing, going out, i-pods, laptops, & mind blowing expensive sneakers. (o.k., I do use the macintosh laptop a fair bit)
    And I fund all this silliness because I love & adore my kids & it seems to give them a lot of meaningful pleasure.
    No, I'm not some dried up old lesbian or an old maid who wouldn't know how to have a good time if I won ten billion dollars. In my 20's I earned & spent a lot of money & lived the "champagne & caviar" materialistic lifestyle. Yes, it can be fun. But for me, it was hollow.
    I'm happily married to a man who also values the simple things in life. Canoeing on a remote river at sunset, throwing a stick on a lonely beach for our nine dogs, riding through the bush at sunrise, these are the things that make my life worthwhile. Things that don't cost money, because the more you consume, the less you live.
    Our nine dogs provide more than friendship & company for me. They are my THERAPY every single day. They're my mates, & I willingly undertake the challenge to love them as much as they love me. It's a big challenge, because they would die for me without a second thought.
    Am I serious? Yes. Am I mad? Probably. But you only get as much love as you give in this world, & I make a point of loving everything that I can. The dogs are by far the easiest & the reciprocity is a joy.

• miac23
    17 years ago

Who cares? I mean really. Do pet's really lead you down the path to financial ruin? Will you really lose your house, all your benefits and savings? No. Most people who own pets weigh these expenses and move on with life, they either pay or not, but either way it rarely is a gamble.

Sure, I see homeless people with a dog or two, but do you really think these people care if there pet needs surgery? I doubt that they care about their financial ruin either, I know that sounds mean but, HELLO!

Here is a more important question: Why do so many people let material stuff ruin their financial future?

I'm talking about people who spend so much on clothes and designer shoes/bags that they are maxed to oblivion and can barely make it each month. I'm also talking about people who seem to be suffering from the "keeping up with the Joneses" scenerio.

People who spend 5k on their pets and/or kids and/or family are people who are spending their money on things they love, so leave them alone. People who over spend on material things to replace love are already in financial ruin.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions