SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darktempest

Need advice on sofas

Raident
9 years ago

I've been looking for a sofa for the past several months now. This'll be my first sofa, so I'm kinda anxious about "getting it right" and more importantly, I want to avoid buyer's remorse. I've been reading a lot of stuff about sofas and furniture in general online - much of which has been on this forum - but the more I read, the more questions I have...

1) Quality: I now understand that I won't be getting anywhere near top quality for $1000 (my original budget), but how much does good quality cost?

More fundamentally, is it even worth it for me to spend loads of money on a quality sofa? I don't anticipate I'll be living here for more than 5 years or so, and even if the sofa does fit the decor of my next home, there's no telling whether or not my future wife will like it. So even if I buy an heirloom-quality sofa, it could end up being obsolete much sooner than that.

Also, just to check, a good-quality sofa should have kiln-dried hardwood, 8-way hand tied springs, wooden doweled joints, and corner blocks. Is anything missing/incorrect?

2) Leather vs fabric: I prefer leather, but my understanding is that in order to get a leather couch that won't be cold in the winter and sweaty in the summer, I'd have to go with top-of-the-line full grain leather. Or do cheaper yet equally-comfortable leathers exist? If not, I guess fabric wins by default...

3) Value for money: This is related to point 1 above, but while it's obvious what the difference between an Ikea sofa and a $3,000 sofa is, what's the difference between a $3,000 sofa and a $20,000 sofa? Or more generally, at what price point do I reach the point of diminishing returns? What's the best bang-for-the-buck? I'm willing to raise my budget to an extent, but only if it's truly worth it.

4) Design: I've noticed that a lot of furniture looks like it came straight out of the 1920s. Unfortunately I live in a brand new condo that's designed to resemble an upscale boutique hotel rather than a Victorian mansion, so that type of styling would look extremely out of place, to say the least. What are some good manufacturers that make modern-style sofas?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help!

This post was edited by Raident on Sun, May 11, 14 at 6:32

Comments (6)