SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender12145

Living room sofas ( quick advice needed)

lavender12145
5 years ago

Here is my living room. It’s empty right now, except the carpet. And we want a lot of seating in there because of our use. We want to put three 3-seater sofas and then chairs as shown . We have chosen a camel colored 3 seater. My question is : would it be ok to put 3 exact same sofas in That room , or should I put two facing sofas same and the one on the back wall should be different ?

Comments (26)

• Lil S
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago
    lavender12145 thanked Lil S
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

I would do two seating areas, one at the back of the room and one at the front. This will allow large groups to divide into separate conversations/uses. And most people prefer to sit and chat at chairs, especially if they aren't emotionally/intellectually close.

In our large living room we leave a small dining table set up at all times and it so convenient for crafts, puzzles, games, or snacks.

Here are some ideas of rooms with a lot of seating that could be adapted to your space:

25,000 SF of Luxury · More Info

Bayhouse · More Info

An Elegant Weekend Escape · More Info

The Jewel Box (Back Bay Residence) · More Info

• Related Discussions

Advice on sofa / rug to work with Knoll Womb Chair in my living room!

Q

Comments (7)
    Very nice indeed! & if you plan on spending much time in the chair, I would position it to enjoy the nice view, just like the sofa. It is so neutral, I think just about anything will coordinate w/ it. Just sayin'...
    ...See More

Living room sofa advice!

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello, how do you arrange the sofa I can help you if you show me your plan of the space. According to the colours: I love your choice - navy blue velvellt❤️, it goes perfect with light blue, yellow and white.
    ...See More

Need advice on rug for 14x 18 living room with adjoined dining room

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks so much for your reply. I was trying to coordinate and yet not compete with the adjoining dining room rug which has similar colors but much bolder. If you zoom into the picture below you can see a patch of it in the right hand corner opposing the sofa. Your suggestion are really nice and appreciated. I see that you used a 9x12 rug. Does you think a 10x14 would be too big?
    ...See More

Advice on pillows for sofa in Living room

Q

Comments (6)
    Etsy is a great place to get pillows. You can choose from all the designer fabrics in the world, and it's less expensive than having to buy yardage and get them made. Plus many shops put together combos for you if you want help mixing patterns. Then you can buy down or down alternative pillow forms off Amazon. I bet the Dillards pillows are stiff. Overstuffed squishy pillows (buy a filler one or two sizes bigger than your pillow case) feel more luxurious. Here are some of my favorite Etsy pillow shops. https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignerModHome https://www.etsy.com/shop/FlyingTack https://www.etsy.com/shop/PopOColor
    ...See More
  • lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thankyou !

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The first photo is from Mitchell gold +Bob Williams. Sofa is in velvet fabric . The second is natuzzi ( Italian ) which is in top grain leather. Which looks better ?

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Are you changing anything else? Wall colour, rug, drapes?

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

rug: no

wall color: maybe later

drapes: maybe later

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Since your rug is staying in place, my preference would be chocolate leather or lighter linen-colour for the sofa. Or a deeper, jewel tone velvet.

The purple-y taupe of the velvet and the tan leather will not have the best impact with your rug imo.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you're not using the furniture you already own?

Eta: of course there's a reason. I suppose I should have said "what is the reason..."

:-D

lavender12145 thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So you think neither of the two I posted would be good:(

I m so tired of hunting for furniture nOw!

The reason I m

not using the furniture currently is because it’s a prepurchase picture .. the owners wanted to leave the whole house furniture for all of $2500, and my husband so wanted because it was high end .. but silly silly me wanted to buy new stuff and wouldn’t get convinced ... which I m regretting !!

To get the same quality I would have to spend several several k!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Oh no! It sounds like you're pretty frustrated :-(

Do you want some direction for your searches?

With that rug, I can imagine these colours looking great:

-chocolate brown (NOT espresso/black-brown! It would be fine if you own the sofas shown in the picture, but since you don't there are better tones :) )

-natural linen (in a warm tone slightly lighter than the rug)

-beige (NOT taupe, sorry)

-maroon

-burnt orange

-forest green

-navy blue/indigo

-plum

Of the two sofas you posted, the tan leather will work better than the taupe.

I see you've saved lots of inspiration photos. That's great! It looks like you are drawn to the combo of tan and charcoal (I am too!) and that you're not afraid of saturated colours.

Your challenge will be the carpet which wants to pull your room very formal and very warm-neutral. Since it is staying you have to play by its rules.

The first few colours on the list I made are neutrals. Because of the carpet I wouldn't try to mix grey and tan if I were you. So if you want to go with a neutral sofa, choose from beiges and browns.

The last colours I listed are in rainbow order :-). If you want to add some pizzazz with colour, choose one from that list and maybe consider a second one as an accent colour.

Once you've chosen your palette you can narrow down your searches drastically.

For now, choose one piece you love and coordinate with that. You absolutely don't have to furnish the entire room at one go. Just focus on your basic seating needs for now and shop for the rest at leisure. Creating a Home is a life-long process so I think this room will and should evolve many times!

Then once your new furniture arrives, choose paint. That's much better!

Later you can layer a rug over the carpet to delineate different seating zones, add toss pillows and throws, etc.

Try not to be discouraged. Let go of your regret and move on in your new reality. You don't need to think about that poor decision anymore. You learned an important lesson and now you need to let go of that mistake so you can make good decisions without being emotional about it. :-)

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Awwww thank you so much for your encouraging comments. I do appreciate you taking the time to give advice. The Mitchell gold sofas were actually in a grey that looked awesome at the store. since I can’t do grey, she gave me the option of a lighter beige color , it says taupe. I was thinking of doing two in beige / taupe ( I cant tell the difference!!) on facing walls and one in plum along the back wall.

But since you said tan leather would would look better, I ll probably go with that. My husband also said velvet is in fashion that’s why it’s looking so good now and will look dated in a couple of years. Leather is timeless and won’t go out of style.

The leather Is a much cheaper option in this case. Living room will be used without kids, and not v often, thoughwhen its used there may be seating upto 18 ppl needed .

the pros about tan leather: cheaper, in stock so can be delivered next week.

Cons: cheaper so likely less in quality

Pros about mgbw: I love the velvet and the curved style.

Cons: more expensive, don’t know how the quality is for the price . Curved which I love but don’t know if it will go with rectangular living room . And you r saying won’t go .

i also like the idea of some jewel tones with neutral , i was thinking of plum and forest green. We are already having 8 chairs (4 pairs in all different styles and prints ) amd one of them is forest green.

By natural linen do you mean this color on the sofas in the picture? Or you mean a flax color?

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

Yes, the colour in that last photo is what I meant by natural linen, or a tidge darker.

I think your husband is a little right, a little wrong :-D Velvet is having a style "moment," true, but to me it is every bit as classic as leather.

When you say you are having 8 chairs...do you mean in this particular room?? Let's see what you have that you want to coordinate with! I like the sounds of that forest green, it's one of my favourite colours. I think you could potentially build a really beautiful room around forest green chairs and the tan leather sofa!

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wrote a message with pics that didn’t upload .sigh.. we have had these linen colored sofas for about 7 years that are right now in the family room so I was hoping to get a different color for living .. here are the pics of chairs we will likely buy in pairs .

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The last one shown in leather is actually going to be in forest green velvet.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

I'm a little confused. Are you thinking of putting these all in the living room? Have you decided on a seating arrangement and colour palette?

For the best cohesion when mixing patterns it's best to vary the scale and pattern while keeping the colourway the same.

For example: one geometric, one floral, and a stripe or plaid. Not all patterns will be on furniture. Some will be on drapes, rugs, pillows, etc.

So for example in your room if you're doing a sofa and pair of chairs on one end of the room and four chairs around an ottoman at the other end of the room you might choose:

-a tan leather sofa with two forest green chairs near the windows

-four of the first chair (with the multi-colour upholstery) around an ottoman at the open end of the room. Like this:

Living Room Dining Room with modern / traditional styling · More Info

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the configuration we have thought .

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I am a little intimidated as to how to choose different patterns ... do you think I will not be able to use these all in the same room? you mean instead of 4 different chairs in pairs , I should go with 4 of the same pattern , and then two forest green and two neutral ?

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I like the dark purple better than the multicolored .... my husband likes the multi better. This is my first design venture .. so loll even though I have seen so many pics and I know what I want I can’t implement it ..

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

So it looks like you're trying to fit too much furniture into this space. Remember you'll have two halves of approximately 10x16.5.

And since it is all lined up along the walls you'll end up with a bunch of people in a line. Imagine being in the middle seat of one of the side sofas. The only people you can converse with easily are the people on your right and your left. Anyone else, you will have to shout to. With such a wide room you want to get furniture off the walls and more toward the middle of the room.

I'm going to try to find time to sketch a layout for you. If you have a proper floorplan with dimensions and windows/doors labeled that would be fantastic and help a lot. You need something to-scale to work with.

Are you in the house yet? You could try taping off on the floor the furniture you're thinking of. It might help you visualize.

I don't see any purple chairs. I see multi-colour, two greys, and the tan which will be forest green.

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was away again for furniture hunting .. actually had decided on two chairs for kitchen and bought them .

You are right , I was thinking the same that people will be too far across so maybe we should move the furniture little away from the walls.

one of those chairs is beige, the other is beige , grey and purple.

I will I’ll do the plan Tomorrow .. what Kind of tape should I use? That looks like a good idea. A painters tape ?

• Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Hi! Clarifying question.... are you looking to create an Arabic-style seating arrangement/lounge?
    lavender12145 thanked Laura Hill
  • lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes!! You got it.. it’s like Arabic style seating!!

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here’s a picture of my moms living room ( not in USA) which is a much smaller space than ours but has seating for 14 because they have dinner gatherings with many guests so very often.

Lollll it may be v wrong from design perspective but my mom says it meets their needs and she loves it!

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

"my mom says it meets their needs and she loves it"

That's the only important thing!

And actually it's very right from a design perspective :-) She has a colour palette of red and ivory, with little accents of green. Her patterns are well balanced and the colours are well balanced throughout the room.

It looks like she has a balanced palette, 50-50 red and ivory, with little hits of the green for interest. If you want to emulate that look, choose beige and forest green (since you've already committed to forest green and the carpet commits you to beige).

I'm sorry I was trying to push you into a layout that is not culturally correct for you! From your ideabook I thought you were going for a more modern, MCM American vibe :) If you are interested, I will sketch out that idea for you but I won't try to push you on it.

Yes, painter's masking tape will be just fine for taping things on the floor. I do think you'll be trying to squeeze just a bit too much in. And if you use two rugs, have them running parallel to each other. :-)

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Have you already purchased the chairs? What sizes are they? When you want maximum seating, that matters. Off-hand, sounds like you need neutral sofas with slim track arms. If the chairs are purchased,then I would match all three sofas. If chairs haven't been ordered,I wouldn't.