SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotkight

Dark wood, Dogs, Shaw and Engineered (Advice needed, quickly)

scotkight
10 years ago

My builder offers only a few options for floors.

We narrowed it down to a handscraped 3.25" shaw pebble hill in olde english (hickory) or one similar to Smooth Sailin in Marina (I think it is maple, the names don't match from builder to shaw's website.)

Basic difference is slightly more glossy (40 vs 20) and fully flat on the smooth sailin' and a handscraped finish on the pebble hill. Not to mention the former is 5" vs 3.25".

We are going for a modern/contemporary look with espresso cabinets.

The answer should simply be, the 5" dark boards, but they are perfectly smooth. I have a dog, two cats, not to mention kids and regular life all running through the house. The last thing we want to be doing is constantly worrying about the floors looking dirty or scratched. While shaw says their floors won't scratch.. I don't know what to think.

This is where the pebble hill 3.25 comes in. It also has the right color, low gloss and is hand scraped to help hide any issues. Thing is, it goes a bit too far into "rustic." I know it won't look damaged by dogs and cats and whatnot, but I'm worried the look will be too far away from modern and actually hurt the total package.

Before you suggest it. No, we can't do aftermarket to another brand and the builder doesn't have the 5" pebble hill, I can give a story why but I'm not looking for feedback related to other products right now.

Out of these two, what would you do? I have until friday to change the build sheet, then it is set.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!