SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcoop_gw

Help with DIY Install of wood floor on slab?

rcoop
15 years ago

Hi,

My husband and I installed unfinished natural maple floors in our last house. We mastered using the flooring gun and it went really easy. Our new house is on a slab, so using our gun is out this time.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on 5" pre-finished maple flooring that would be easy for us to do as DIY. We had a 5" Bruce wood floor installed (via glue) in my son's room when we moved in a year ago. I am pregnant and have to get the new baby's bedroom floor installed and hopefully do the hall and some other areas that have dusty carpet from the 70s.

My husband wants to install the floor himself with glue. I am not so sure about this, as I think it is not like using a gun on subfloor where you can take a break or just continue the next weekend.

I read a post recommending Bruce's Turlington locking plank. I liked that idea, but my husband says that means the floor will bounce and not have a good install. He works in high end construction, so he likes everything done right. I just want to be able to get as much flooring as possible and would be able to help with the locking plank. I think my son and I will need to leave the house with the glue due to fumes.

Any suggestions/ comments?

Thanks!

Comments (2)