SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amaranth1810

Floor finish problems w/ HighBuildPoly-anyone ever use Zar brand?

amaranth1810
14 years ago

Hi, I would really appreciate some help as we are in a dilemma. We just had new hard-wood installed and finished and need to re-finish the floors already because the finish was not done properly. Ugh!!

We had white oak floor-ing installed (beautiful result) that was finished (by the same guy who installed the wood) with 2 coats of Minwax High Build Satin polyurethane. It has brush marks, high levels, bubbles, drips,and LOTS of dust in the finish. It was put on way too thick. Clearly he and his employee who did most of the finish,were not familiar with this product and didn't realize that it goes on thicker - he realizes this now and will re-finish it. We are now aware after the fact that he doesn't do a lot of floor finishing and that we should have hired someone who does. Our mistake for not asking - he just does such good work otherwise we expected much better.

After calls to Minwax and discussion the plan is for him to sand with 220 and to apply a very thin coat of poly using Minwax's Super-Fast Drying Poly for Floors in a Satin finish. But we have spoken with a floor finisher(20 yrs experience) who said he no longer uses Minwax products because of problems, especially the High Build. He recommended other brands one of which is Zar brand polyurethane telling us it goes down thinner and has a more durable finish than Minwax. He also had suggested Perma brand but he thought that their Satin finish would be too shiny for what we wanted. He suggested the Zar brand because they have a lower lustre Satin. Now researching the Zar I find that there are many products and I don't know which one to use. 2 of them are Quick Dry and Classic High Solids. Any suggestions?

Has anyone used Zar poly or have any other recommendations for us at the point we are now at?

I am regretting my decision to use polyurethane in the first place and wish I had pursued other options like the OSMO Polyx oil. I think that would have given us the look we want - to enhance the beauty of the wood not just coat it. But can't turn back the clock.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)