SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
murf1_gw

Smoke in pellet hopper

murf1
18 years ago

I have been chasing a problem with smoke accumulating in the pellet hopper on my Harman Advance, I have been watching it for weeks now, and everytime I did something different, I would do it for 3 days so it's not just a one time thing. I came to the conclusion it's my outside combustion air thats causing it. Heres my set up- vent makes a 90 straight out of the back of the stove and goes out the roof, 10 ft. verticle run, 3.5 ft. above roof line and there is a rain cap on pipe. The nearest roof valley or any obstruction is 12 ft away. The combustion vent is stainless 2 3/8" flex pipe with a outside protective cap,about 2.5 ft. long (This is whats supplied by Harman)The combustion air pick up is atleast 14' away from the Vent exhaust end. There are no obstructions anywhere near the air inlet. Basically.... hooked up, smoke in hopper, not hooked up - no smoke in hopper. I went so far as to increase the comb. air pipe size to 3" i.d. and it still does it, one thing I noticed is when I was outside by the inlet I could actually hear a "fluttering" of the air.When it was not hooked up, and I listened behind the stove, I didn't hear it ? Harman is sending a new control board that is suppose to do a " better job of controling the inlet air flap which regulates how much air is allowed into the combustion chamber" It seems it is being restricted with the outside air hooked up. (EVERYTHING has been checked for restrictions)I wouldn't even care if the outside air was hooked up, but it seems like alot of warm air being sucked out of the house and up the vent pipe. Studies show you could exchange all the air in an average size ranch home in approx. 10-12 hours.That just seems like alot of heat wasted ??

Comments (16)