SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quackin

pellet stove smoke

quackin
15 years ago

I just purchased a Hudson River-Westpoint pellet stove and had it direct vented. When the contractor initially fired up the stove there was enough smoke to make the smoke detectors go off. We were told that was part of the normal curing process.

Once the contractor left, we turned up the temperature because we weren't getting any of the house warm except the room where it is installed. This caused the smoke detectors to go off again. So I disconnected the smoke detectors (just to get me through the night).

We burned the stove all night and the house smells like smoke so bad I couldnÂt stand it and had to turn the stove off. And it isn't a little smell. It's very noticeable to the point that it got my sinuses stuffed up. It has burned 16 hours continuously, so I can't see that there would be a curing issue at this point.

The unit is installed on the first floor of a 2 story 3000 sq.ft. home. Again, it is direct vented. It appears to have an exhaust pipe that sticks about a foot away from the siding and has a 45 degree cap facing the ground. The intake vent is installed flush with the house siding, level with the exhaust vent. There is maybe 18" of separation between the vents. There arenÂt any windows on the side of the house where it is installed.

Please let me know some of your thoughts.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County