SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Very surprising phone call from my brother tonight

3katz4me
10 years ago

I'm still kind of in shock and thought I would post something here as I think some here have dealt with things like this. My brother is 61 and called to let me know he is entering inpatient treatment for alcoholism. He's struggled with various types of chemical dependency his entire adult life. Amazingly he settled on alcohol after my other brother died of alcoholic cirrhosis at age 47. The last time I saw my brother almost two years ago I didn't think he would live another year but he has the good genes as far as surviving toxic abuse of the body.

It's a weird situation as I'd already written him off. Now perhaps there's a ray of hope that he will achieve sobriety and live on. I'm only cautiously optimistic since my other brother went through treatment twice before ultimately dying of the disease. I'm not sure exactly what has inspired him to do this but I do believe it is entirely coming from within. He even said he thought he wanted this to work more than my other brother ever did. So we shall see. He is on a waiting list to get in as he has no $ for this and is getting treatment through a charitable organization.

I read the Eric Clapton autobiography and thought if that guy could survive and finally get through treatment successfully maybe my brother could too. Had pretty much given up on it until tonight.

Comments (19)