SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

laminate, engineered, floating floors -- confused!

tetrazzini
16 years ago

We have a concrete floor in our basement. I'd like to put a wood-look floor down. Because the floor is concrete, I think we have to go with a floating floor. ( i don't want to use glue or nails.) I was thinking of something like Pergo, but that's the only brand I've heard of. My contractor told me the stuff at HD is not good.

I don't know the difference between engineered and laminate flooring. What is laminate made of? Is it a photograph of wood on a plastic surface of some kind? Is it a thin layer of wood on plywood? Is one a less expensive product than the other?

Are some brands better than others? We have solid wood on the two main floors, and that's what I love. But for the basement (just an occasional teen hang-out room for the next few years) I want a tradeoff between fairly long lasting and inexpensive (and nice looking.) That is, I don't want to spend a lot of money on it because it won't be used much. On the other hand, I don't want it to look like crap in a few years and have to throw good money after bad. What's a good route to go?

One other question: I see online sources, but the shipping is high. At what kind of local places do you buy these floors? Are they more expensive, and in the end you pay as much or more than if you bought it online?

Thank you in advance!!

Comments (4)