SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakelife2020

Lake house log cabin flooring: hardwood or engineered or laminate???

lakelife2020
3 years ago

Hello! We just purchased a log cabin on a lake. Built in the 1930's. The floors are in terrible shape, so we are laying new floor over top of the old (after the original floor is repaired as needed, of course). We REALLY wanted hardwood, but as I've read up on flooring, I'm not sure if it's the right choice. This is a vacation home--we will visit in all seasons, but won't be there all the time (once the pandemic is over, in any case--we plan to spend most of our time there for the next year or so). We are installing a new HVAC system

/central air and natural gas. We fell in love with hickory, but then I read that hickory is unstable and now I'm worried about cracking/warping, etc., and so wondering if 1) we should consider another type of solid hardwood, like oak or acacia; 2) use engineered hardwood, so we still get a little of the hardwood we love but with more stability; or 3) use laminate, which some of our friends on the lake have and love for its durability/water resistance. The more I read online, the more confused I get (temperature and humidity considerations, etc.)--would love any opinions/advice--thanks! (Ignore furniture in picture and the strange wall on the right--that is sellers' stuff!)

Comments (13)