SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyingflower

How to make a Memory foam mattress work on a daybed?

flyingflower
16 years ago

It's time to replace the twin mattress on my guest room daybed. I like the memory foam beds so I figured I'd get one of those. Not so fast said the customer service rep, you can't put a memory foam mattress on a daybed because there is no flat surface for it to rest upon. Daybeds don't use box springs, the twin mattress has to sit directly on a spring system built into the daybed. Now I find out that's not enough to hold a memory foam mattress, it has to be a SOLID flat surface.

OK, so what if I cut a piece of plywood to fit and lay that across the springs? Strike out #2. Plywood holds moisture, he said, you can't use it. And I thought plywood was dry!

He gave me no solutions and I hung up the phone dejected. He said it was up to me to figure out how to solve this problem, the company has not designed a special board to sell to customers with daybeds. If I use plywood they will void the warranty.

Any ideas on what I can have made that will be approved by a memory foam manufacturer? What else can I use that is large enough to fit the bed's dimensions, is flat, strong enough not to buckle or warp under the weight of both the foam mattress and the occupant...and of course, not hold moisture?? Some kind of Plastic maybe?

It's starting to look like my only alternative is to buy a regular mattress and place a memory foam topper over it.

Comments (7)