SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Fixing a bad DIY floor job?

JohnnieB
17 years ago

No, we didn't do it ourselves! Our 80 year old rowhouse still has the original hardwood floors. Given their age they are in pretty good shape, EXCEPT that it looks like a previous owner did a DIY refinishing job, and a pretty bad one at that. The entire floor is covered with wavy parallel grooves, some of them fairly deep. There is also a miscellaneous accumulation of 80 years of nicks, scratches, scrapes, and gouges--again, including a few long, deep ones (are people really too stupid to LIFT heavy furniture across a wood floor?). I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, but the floor is stained a very dark brown and polyurethaned. It doesn't look too bad from a distance, but close up you can see just how bad it is.

My partner and I are getting ready to do a major home renovation project and as part of it would like have the floors refinished (professionally!), and preferably with a lighter stain. I think (hope!) most of the shallower grooves can probably be sanded out, but I'm sure we're stuck with the deeper ones. How bad is too bad to fix, and are we stuck with using another dark stain to hide the grooves or is there any hope of going lighter?

Comments (4)