SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momolabs

Finishing Red Oak - A Few Questions

momolabs
16 years ago

We just got a great deal on unfinished select and better unfinished red oak and it went in great in the kitchen (DIY).

I have previously refinished a heart pine floor and used the sander and Varathane water based flooring finish from a big box retailer, and wasn't 100% happy with my results. I feel quite capable or finishing this oak floor myself, but I am looking for advice on the finish. I want a natural look to the floor, and would like to use a water borne poly, but I don't like the washed out lightness of that finish, and prefer a somewhat warmer tone.

My questions are these:

1. I hear good things about BonaKemi, and it looks like their DTS sealer combined with the new Naturale finish would be what I am after. How can I get there products as a homeowner, and would I be wise to attempt to use these products? They say "professional use only", but in reality are they more difficult to use than a water borne poly I buy from a retailer? What is the ballpark price of the BonaKemi products?

2. If I can't get, or should not attempt to use the BonaKemi system, what other recommendations do some of you experts have for me? Options I have come up with on my own are A) Varathane again over an oil modified natural stain or mix of natural and golden oak. or B) Parks Pro Universal sealer under their water based poly. (Parks also have a product called Nano Shield that looks interesting, with aluminum oxide in it.) Are there others that are readily available to the consumer that would be a good option for me?

3. I am a sponge for knowledge, so any other advice I can get, I'll surely appreciate.

Thanks so much for sharing your time and advice.

Comments (22)